£300 Package Set Budget - Advice Please

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve been offered a set of Callaway X-16’s - are these any good to start out with?

I used to play a set of Calloway X14s and they were very good clubs, not sure how old the X16s are but probably about 15 years old ,if they are in reasonable condition and the right price then I would think they would be good to start out with.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’ve been offered a set of Callaway X-16’s - are these any good to start out with?

If the price is right they'd be worth using (would need to be V cheap) but while not being an expert I'd wager the Wilson starter set at AG will wipe the floor with almost all 15 year old clubs
Like second hand car, you don't know what kind of abuse the clubs have taken and as a new player you wont even know straightaway if all the grips need replacing

Nothing wrong with new stuff from a reputable maker like Wilson

Diamond

Visit site
The advice I was given was to buy a Wilson starter set for £299 with bag. My first question was what is the next step up (knowing I get obsessed easily and would go head long into it). I was told the Callaway XHot2 package (£599) was decent and have sell on value. Can’t knock the clubs at all.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you honestly think a brand new golfer considering this kit is going to be capable of hitting greens with a 5 iron?

No, I would struggle to hit the green and I’ve played for 10 years.

I wasn’t clear in my post about where the shots went and if GIR was an expectation or not, which as you pointed out is unrealistic.

sammyboy

Visit site
If the price is right they'd be worth using (would need to be V cheap) but while not being an expert I'd wager the Wilson starter set at AG will wipe the floor with almost all 15 year old clubs
Like second hand car, you don't know what kind of abuse the clubs have taken and as a new player you wont even know straightaway if all the grips need replacing

Nothing wrong with new stuff from a reputable maker like Wilson

Am not sure abour newer irons being any better. If they are it will be marginal.

I am actually putting it to the test. Ive found my first ever set of irons. Callaway big berthas 2008. I am going to put them into play and see how many shots i lose compared to my newer irons. Lookong down at them they look chunky monkeys but they inspire so much more confidence than my players irons and i feel like i couldnt not hit the ball well. Many happy memories with those irons for me... sneaking into courses when i had no money, my mates taking his trousers off and collecting balls from the lake, my first par, birdie and eagle with them. Im excited to play them.

sammyboy

Visit site
IF you do go for the x-16 make sure the grips are ok otherwise it could get expensive.

Only if he lets a pro do it.

I regripped some old wedges i was giving to a youngster. Ordered golf pride grips for 2.99 and take for 20p per club. A sharp knife, some white spirit and 10 minutes later it was done. Hardest part was getting the old tape off.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Am not sure abour newer irons being any better. If they are it will be marginal.

I am actually putting it to the test. Ive found my first ever set of irons. Callaway big berthas 2008. I am going to put them into play and see how many shots i lose compared to my newer irons. Lookong down at them they look chunky monkeys but they inspire so much more confidence than my players irons and i feel like i couldnt not hit the ball well. Many happy memories with those irons for me... sneaking into courses when i had no money, my mates taking his trousers off and collecting balls from the lake, my first par, birdie and eagle with them. Im excited to play them.

It'll be interesting what happens in your test

I used to use turn of the century King Cobra II irons (nice enough in there day I’d imagine and not cheap) and on a whim I bought a set of brand new budget Nicklaus HP irons (£99) with around 14 years of R&D between them (didn’t hit it any further but the forgiveness on off-centre hits was chalk and wotsit, not even a close contest)
And if I’m not mistaken both sets were designed by the same bloke, but the R&D in that period allowed a huge performance gain for me as a high handicap player. Also the ease of use in getting the ball airborne was another big gain. Not forgetting the new set were more fun to play with because it cut down on duffs/lost balls etc

With a 5 yr gap then provided no grips needed the 2nd hand ‘better’ club would be my choice but with that kind of age gap between new and x16 I’d back the new starter set against the ‘classic’s for what the OP needs

incatrekker

Visit site
There are some elephants in the room on this one. Anything you buy will not be perfect for you. If you buy a “set” you’ll only use half of them anyway. A second-hand hand half set with good grips would be my advice but find a golfer who can help you. You only need a 3/5 wood, four/five irons and putter. Your equipment will need to include bag, shoes, glove, umbrella, waterproofs etc. so your budget for clubs is eroded already.
What are your other mates going to do?
Maybe borrow a single 6/7/8 iron and go to a range and see how you get on first? Go with a mate and have fun hitting balls then hunt for a half set of cavity backs with good grips.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Based on what you said, I would just go with the Decathlon set and get one of their own brand bags for £40-50. Buy a big bag of tees, some pearl/grade a lake balls off eBay, couple of gloves and off you go. See if you enjoy golf and upgrade in a year or 2.