£300 Package Set Budget - Advice Please

RandomReload

Visit site
Myself n a few of the lads are looking to take up golf as a means to get out more now that lock-down has eased and we can go back out (football seasons finished and I can’t hack another 8+ weeks in the house 24/7 with the wife and kids).

i’ve not got a lot to spend on clubs but would be looking to pick up something in a package set. So far the following have caught my eye

Decathlon Inesis £149 - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/golf-set-100-right-handed-size-2-id_8544878.html

Ben Sayers M8 £209 - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8105048?clickSR=slp:term:golf:11:25:1

Wilson Ultra £299 - https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clubs/package-sets/wilson-ultra-xd-steel-package-set-358394.html

Slazenger v300 £169 - https://www.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-v300-golf-set-876028#colcode=87602890

Wilson Matrix £319 - https://www.golfonline.co.uk/wilson-mens-matrix-golf-package-set-graphite-shaft-wgg157571

MacGregor CG2000 £214 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/MacGregor-...28&replacementKeywords=package+set+men&sr=8-5

Wilson Stretch £249 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wilson-Beg...78XYWSQ8FKZA&refRID=1W7D9RYS78XYWSQ8FKZA&th=1

I realise that’s a fair bit to digest but where would I be best putting my money? Or are there any alternative package deals I’ve missed that would be worth a look? I’m only 20 minutes away from an American Golf, Sports Direct and Decathlon (conveniently all on the same retail park).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Inesis half set looks a great deal for a beginner, as a half set is all you'd need to get going, plus it's so cheap, so the outlay is minimal (if you don't stick with golf long term). I watched the Golf Monthly review of them earlier and they were really pleasantly surprised and gave them a strong review.

I'm not sure it's worth spending £300 or more on a starter set as you'll look to replace them over time anyway if you stick with it, and they have next to no resale value at all.

Refurbished2020

Visit site
From personal experience don't buy a cheap set, that way lies trouble. The head separated from my 7-iron three weeks in and I'd bought those from American Golf, which at least got me a replacement set). Cheap sets are cheap for a reason, all China, Taiwan, Thailand, Korea etc. (exclude Japan as I've never seen a cheap Japanese set). This also includes Titleist but you assume they exercise some form of quality control.
Go to American Golf - forget the other two. Ask to try some of the better sets, they should give you a basic fit - you don't have to buy them, you'll 'think about it, it's a bit more than you wanted, etc'. Then look for a decent second hand set, hopefully where you can see them and have a mate with some knowledge to help.

(he who was formerly known as viscount17)

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I started with a Wilson starter set. It was perfect. Even Rick Shiels said the callaway strata set (I think that's what it was) was worth it.

Nothing wrong with starting with a starter set. Good luck

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Wilson stretch look a good deal. Especially as include bag.

You could also shave £20 off by choosing steel shafted irons in the options (95% use steel shafted irons).

Wilson a reputable company too.

Visit site
A few years ago to get started I bought the Wilson Ultra set as a quick fix - based abroad with no real opportunity to personally look around and try etc

My experience - the irons were good enough for me - the woods/hybrid were poor

If I were to do it again and had a better opportunity I would go down the second hand route - better clubs for the money and more choice

But the package does provide an all-in-one start (as it says on the box)

I still have the Ultras in the UK as a spare set to use if i'm over on a non-golfing jaunt and an opp arises (though it never has)

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I tried package and 2nd hand when I first started and the package set (think it was Wilson but was 2 years ago now) felt really weak and flimsy. Thought the club would snap every shot.

I picked up a 2nd hand iron set for £60 4-PW, and a putter for £50 brand new.

Obviously all personal but if I was to do it now I would buy a used iron set like that, add a 3 wood, leave the driver for now as it will be harder to hit as a beginner, and maybe spend a little more on a putter

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
If you can spend the time and do a bit of research, then I'd say it is worth the effort to go down the second hand route.

You will get good deals on gumtree and facebook market place for full bags and part sets of Ping, Callaway, Taylor Made, Titleist, Mizuno, Cobra etc.

Best to start out with 'netural' clubs that include regular flex shafts and cavity back irons (i.e. not blades). As a beginner, learning how to hit the ball and get a decent strike is going to be far more important than the exact clubs you are using.

I'd say the issue with the starter sets is getting any kind of re-sale if you decide to chuck it or upgrade to better gear. But with main manufacturers clubs released in the past 10 years or so - you'll probably find they won't drop much value over a year or so if you get a reasonable deal 2nd hand.

So £300 spent on putting a set together is probably still going to be worth over £250 in a years time, but you might struggle to get a buyer for a starter set that was £200 or so initial outlay.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Also I've had a decent result selling stuff on ebay over the years. Including buying and then selling at a small profit within a few months.

Best tactic for anyone reselling stuff is really clean it up and try and take good pictures. In diffused daylight, on a plan background such as wooden floor.
Take a LOT of pictures - people are far more likely to make a bid if there are loads of pictures from every angle.
Also do a detailed description about exact club, loft, shaft flex, length etc. Absolutely as much as you can find / know. Don't just be general.

And be honest about condition. I think people appreciate if you say 'well used with a few scratches, but in full working order'.

RandomReload

Visit site
My biggest worry with eBay/Facebook is that I really have no idea what I’m looking for and if someone was pulling the wool over when it comes to what I should be purchasing. How do I know how old a set are for instance?

i had noticed a few sets:- https://ebay.co.uk/usr/bogeyandbirdiegolf

or would I be better piecing things together 1 item at a time?

also, I live around 15 minutes from a charity (thrift) super store, would it be worth checking somewhere like that?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
With a starter set keep the driver and woods to the range until your whole swing has improved a bit, just hit the irons off the tee.

A 500 yard par 5 is three easy 5 irons so why reach for the driver? Yes you will top and duff them occasionally but you will do the same with the longer clubs and be in more trouble if you hit one bit hook/slice.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Affordablegolfclearance and golfclubs4cash on eBay stock a lot of used stuff

And golf bidder is a website full of 2nd hand stuff

All have condition ratings for the clubs

sammyboy

Visit site
With a starter set keep the driver and woods to the range until your whole swing has improved a bit, just hit the irons off the tee.

A 500 yard par 5 is three easy 5 irons so why reach for the driver? Yes you will top and duff them occasionally but you will do the same with the longer clubs and be in more trouble if you hit one bit hook/slice.

Do you honestly think a brand new golfer considering this kit is going to be capable of hitting greens with a 5 iron?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Get a cheap set as you're starting out. If you get the bug, then build on that. The most important thing is to enjoy it.