Beginner irons suggestions....

SteW17

Visit site
most of my childhood I played a bit of golf with my dad, mainly pitch and putt, but I've just started now playing the 18 holes.

Any recommendations for beginner irons, that are forgiving? And a decent driver?

I've done a bit of research and have been looking for any Callaway x series irons or TM burners. Looking for a second hand set, a couple of hundred pound budget.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 23344

Any of the earlier Ping G series ... G10, G15, G20, etc.

Sekiro

Visit site
Unfortunately it’s a terrible time to buy second hand, prices have gone crazy over the last few weeks/months (I bought my King F7’s for under £200 a couple of months back, they are reaching £275-£325 on eBay at the moment).

Golfbidder usually have a few bits in stock, maybe give them a try (drop them an email/call as they will be willing to help you pull together some kit for your budget as not everything they stock is on their website).

There are also some good Facebook groups where you’ll probably be able to post what you are looking for + budget and someone should be able to help. Just search golf buy and swap and the main few will come up.

There’s also brands that seem to be more budget friendly like Cobra, Wilson, Benross, Adams, Cleveland, Mizuno etc these are still great clubs and worth considering (try eBay), sure for the most part they won’t hold their value as much as say Callaway, Ping, TaylorMade and Titleist but they will still make a great set and are better than going the budget package deal / no-brand stuff.

SteW17

Visit site
Thanks canary il look out for those.

Sekiro. Thank you for the reply, I've also noticed the prices have been going up and up over the last few months, maybe there are more and more beginners looking for these clubs?
I've kept on an eye on marketplace, shpock and gumtree, nothing as yet, or anything I'm after goes pretty quick. I will try golfbidder though.
Any of those brands you mentioned good for a beginner in particular? I've heard the Clevelands are pretty good for that?

Thanks again

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ping G700 or the newer G710s are very forgiving and long and would be good for a beginner.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ping G700 or the newer G710s are very forgiving and long and would be good for a beginner.
Couple of hundred pound budget :oops:. If you can find a set for that they are probably pinched :D.

The Ping G theme is a good shout though. The OP just needs to go back through the models to reach one within his budget.

I'd also agree with Sekiro. The brands he quoted will do the job for someone starting out and will likely be a little cheaper than some of the others.

SteW17

Visit site
My mate just brought a full set of callaway x 20 irons with new grips for £180 so you can definitely find a set within my budget.
As mentioned il work my way through that list and see what I can find in my budget. Thanks guys.

Any recommendations on a nice forgiving driver?

3-off-the-tee

Visit site
I have the Callaway X-20 set... I think they only set me back £120 for 4-PW but the 7 Iron is a Taylormade Burner.

They seem alright but I have very little basis for comparison. Had them a few years now.

Sekiro

Visit site
I’m probably not the best for advice (only new to the sport myself), but when I was trawling through eBay I was looking at;-

Cobra:- S2 or 3 Max / amp cell or bio cell / King F range

Wilson;- Deep Red / D100 or 200 / Di range

Benross;- Quad / Max Speed

Adams;- Idea

Cleveland;- CG Red or other CG range

Mizuno;- JPX 800 / MX 100 or 200

Nike;- Slingshot / Ignite / Sumo SQ

I did also look at a few others by the more expensive brands;-

Callaway;- Diablo / Edge / Razer

Taylormade;- Burner / Aeroburner / R7

Ping;- G range (15, 20, 25, 30 etc) / Rapture

Titleist;- AP1

There are loads more avail and some of the above will be better than others but these seemed to be advised for beginners from the info I read online or from advice received by friends that play. The best thing would be to find some that are in your price range and then come back here with the details as I’m sure the guys will be more than happy to advise which to go for out of your selection.

I settled on a set of Cobra F7 One-Length Irons, I’ve got a lesson booked in a couple of weeks so will try these side-by-side with a regular set and decide if I’m keeping them or going for something different.

SteW17

Visit site
I’m probably not the best for advice (only new to the sport myself), but when I was trawling through eBay I was looking at;-

Adams;- Idea

Titleist;- AP1

There are loads more avail and some of the above will be better than others but these seemed to be advised for beginners from the info I read online or from advice received by friends that play. The best thing would be to find some that are in your price range and then come back here with the details as I’m sure the guys will be more than happy to advise which to go for out of your selection.

I settled on a set of Cobra F7 One-Length Irons, I’ve got a lesson booked in a couple of weeks so will try these side-by-side with a regular set and decide if I’m keeping them or going for something different.

Thats a great list to keep me going! Thanks again

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I bought a cheap £60 used Wilson set when I started about 18 months ago and just got some Cleveland CBX launcher brand new now that I know what I want a bit more.

I got them at clubhouse golf for about £330 brand new if I remember rightly. There were a set of Srixon ones I tried that were £230 brand new and they were ok too.

I suppose what I'm getting at is brand new were cheaper than I expected, so could be worth a look if used prices are still crazy.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site

Adams;- Idea

Titleist;- AP1

Benross HTX or HTX compressor irons could probably be found for under £200 on eBay too

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would go with the Pig G range or the Callaway X-Series which were both cavity backed designs aimed to help get the ball in the air and be forgiving on mishits. Unfortunately even the big second hand stores like Golfbidder seem to have been hit since the pandemic and their stock levels are right down and prices seem to have gone up. There are other sites than Golfbidder and so they may have better stock or try e-bay. Good luck with your search

SteW17

Visit site
Thanks both for your reply.

Think I'm set on either the TM burners or calloway X. Got my eye on a few on different places so should get some soon. Thanks for your comments