Beginner Iron Recommendations

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All

Returning member here after a few years break.

I’m returning to golf as a complete beginner and am looking for a good value set of irons to get started.

Ideally looking to get myself sorted with a bag, putter and irons for £100 or so, so definitley looking at used gear.

Any particular brands or sets to look out for? I had some Wilson DI11s before and there’s a few sets on eBay for £60-80 or so. I think they’re quite forgiving for beginners but welcome other suggestions. I can stretch the budget if it’s worth it but just really looking to get back out for as little outlay as possible at this stage. I’ll only be playing par 3 courses for the foreseeable and then maybe in a year or so look to buy some better gear if I really get back into it.

Cheers!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any of the Ping G ones are usually decent (G10, G15 etc), or an old set of Callaway Big Berthas or something like that. I think they're generally the most forgiving.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always think anything from the Callaway X-series is a great second hand buy for anybody on a smaller budget, not just a beginner. X-14, X-16 etc etc, you get the idea. PING G series are good too, but they still fetch a high price on the second hand market.

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Any of the Ping G ones are usually decent (G10, G15 etc), or an old set of Callaway Big Berthas or something like that. I think they're generally the most forgiving.

Had to do a double take then, thought I posted this on the FIFA forum!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

I would normally say Pings too but they hold their value well and on your budged you would struggle.

Avoid the big names like Ping, Callaway, Taylor Made etc and look for the next tier down clubs like Wilson Staff, Benross and alike.

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve found a set of Cleveland CG Red irons locally for £40. Not going to get better value than that am I!

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Cleveland make good clubs - certainly worth a try at that price

Yeah I thought it was daft not to at that price.

Managed to kit myself out in second hand wares quickly and cheaply.

Picked up the irons (3-PW) for £40, a Mizuno thin/pencil stand bag for £19 and a Cleveland Classic Putter for £30 that looks like it’s never been hit. Just over £100 including a box of balls, some tees and a glove, pretty happy with that!