Beginner - help!

CeePeeBee

Visit site
Hi all,

New Golfer here...had a few lessons, hit the range a dozen times and I'm getting there. I have a 40quid set of Level Par clubs from Facebook Marketplace which I thought would be best to "start" with. Now I'm realising I'm going to enjoy it and I'll slowly be improving, what should I be looking for in terms of a budget 'proper' set of clubs? Some of these have some dents and marks, so I was looking at a second-hand upgrade really.

Any tips for a brand new golfer? I think I've got my grip down (when I remember) and my swing is starting to come on with some drills I've got. I have noticed that regardless of my club, 150yrds is kind of a standard - that has to be swing related I'd imagine.

I suppose I'm just after some wisdom to get me on my way!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You won't go far wrong PING irons.
They do advanced, medium and improving.
I'd suggest you go for the improving range known as the G range.
Obviously, the newer models are more expensive and to be honest, aren't that much better.
Look around for G10 or G15 sets, they will serve you well for years to come.
Don't be fooled into buying ''all the gear'' untill you have some idea.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

New Golfer here...had a few lessons, hit the range a dozen times and I'm getting there. I have a 40quid set of Level Par clubs from Facebook Marketplace which I thought would be best to "start" with. Now I'm realising I'm going to enjoy it and I'll slowly be improving, what should I be looking for in terms of a budget 'proper' set of clubs? Some of these have some dents and marks, so I was looking at a second-hand upgrade really.

Any tips for a brand new golfer? I think I've got my grip down (when I remember) and my swing is starting to come on with some drills I've got. I have noticed that regardless of my club, 150yrds is kind of a standard - that has to be swing related I'd imagine.

I suppose I'm just after some wisdom to get me on my way!

Enjoy it. Most important thing to remember regardless of skill level.

Two things I'd advise is to;
1 Get a good putting stroke - my very first days were often fraught with errors on the green
2 I'd play with a 7-SW and a putter to begin with.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome. And well done for starting golf YOU FOOL WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?????

Now that’s out of the way.

Ping G15s are a great shout by Bobmac, if you go that route you’ll notice the have coloured spots. These refer to the lie angle and you probably want standard, Black dot. Maybe regular shafts would be best for now if you hit everything 150. As you progress you will need new bats but these will see you right for a good while. There are a fair few equivalent ones. Stick to the established manufacturers. If you spot a set you like the look of feel free to post here for advice. And if you’re feeling very brave you can post your swing for mostly unprofessional advice, some of which may even be useful. Get stick in ??

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I'm based just outside Coventry!
Well, that's so much better than just inside. Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

I would stick with the clubs you have at the moment. Try to get some short-game practice as well as slogging on the range. Chipping and putting is where the scores per hole really matter. The game is very much about getting the ball into the hole in as few hits as possible. Bashing it up the fairway is mainly a damage limitation exercise. Getting it on the green and taking no more than two putts is the more skilful bit.
Once you are more aware of improvements that you make, then you will have a better idea of clubs to help with further improvements. When will that be? - you will have to make your own judgement. You have years of enjoyment and frustration ahead. Welcome.

CeePeeBee

Visit site
Well, that's so much better than just inside. Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

I would stick with the clubs you have at the moment. Try to get some short-game practice as well as slogging on the range. Chipping and putting is where the scores per hole really matter. The game is very much about getting the ball into the hole in as few hits as possible. Bashing it up the fairway is mainly a damage limitation exercise. Getting it on the green and taking no more than two putts is the more skilful bit.
Once you are more aware of improvements that you make, then you will have a better idea of clubs to help with further improvements. When will that be? - you will have to make your own judgement. You have years of enjoyment and frustration ahead. Welcome.

I'm averaging about 1/30 shots being my Driver :) However I'll only look at new clubs once I can hit a ball straight :D

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks all! I'll keep my eye out. What should I be expecting to pay for second half good condition G15's?

Don’t know probably 200ish, that’s what you can pick up a decent set for they don’t wear out they’re made of indestructible metal ? Some forged clubs wear, the grooves get less sharp, but cast irons are good until the year 34,519.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where did you have your lessons ?
He / she might be able to help with club type etc.
Have you tried your mates clubs?
There is a minefield of clubs , but a set of G15 will be good for now and you will also be able to sell them again.
Callaway do some nice clubs.
Titleist to.
Most good ranges have trial clubs, try as many as you can ,choice is endless.

Don’t be put off by bad rounds golf takes a while to learn but we never master it, even good players hit bad shots.
Most important is enjoy yourself.
As said plenty of advice here just ask!