beginner: advice re clubs please!

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi,

I am an absolute beginner and have never played golf (watched a lot ). The closest I have got is a few rounds of pitch and put on holiday and once banging balls of a driver range. I loved it, always had an interest in playing and finally got to a place in life where I have time to do so.

I would love to purchase a complete starter set of clubs and would love some advice on this. I have read around various forums and advice on starting to play online. There is a lot of information available and can be at times confusing.

I have taken on sound advice about getting lessons and then good professional advice about what type of clubs would suit my style, swing speed, height and athleticism etc, however until that time comes till I explore custom fitting of clubs, I do intend to purchase a half decent starter set. I know that these will be short lived if I am any good as I will need tailored fitting clubs, however I am happy with the financial loss that this will incur. Money is not such an important factor here. I would prefer to but a half decent set and get familiar with them and learn from there with lessons following on soon.

Ok so, so much advice about brands etc. most starter sets seem to be the same (i.e. driver, 1 or 2 woods, 1 or 2 hybrid clubs, 5-PW irons, putter and bag) so the clubs in the set are not the issue. I know I have a pretty fast swing. I am 6.2” and can hit the ball a long way with poor looking clubs at the driver range. Of course I was slicing many of them but connecting okish for a first attempt. Based on what I have read then I would look for steel irons and graphite woods.

I see most golf club packages for beginners are around the £200 mark (about £140 - £250). The brands available at that price range that I think are ok include MD golf, Wilson, Ram and Ben Sayers. The types of packages/sets in this range tend to have all similar clubs and reviews, i.e. ideal for beginners because they tend to highlight extra forgiveness and increased playability etc.

Is there much between these brands at this price? Any preferences for one over the other (I don’t really care about resale value if and when I need to upscale). I have floated with the idea of better brands second hand but have decided to start with a more forgiving package. Besides I would prefer an all in one in the bag without having to worry about purchasing individual clubs at this time. Any other advice would be most welcome and appreciated.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Me, I would go to the local golf range and have just one or two starter lessons. Check with the Pro what type of clubs he recommends. I would go for a good secondhand set and practice and then go back for more lessons when you are hitting well and feel confident. I would not buy a starter set but I also wouldn't buy blades or anything that arn't game improver clubs - you will almost certainly want to change them soon enough as you improve. S/hand quality clubs will always hold a better resale price and, providing you purchase the ones in the set up the Pro says (stiff, regular, metal, graphite etc) you should improve rapidly.

For me, starter sets are cheap and chearful and may not be good for your game, personally I'd avoid them

Chris

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
I would stay clear of the full starter sets to be honest half of the clubs in there wont be too good.you would be better with a decent set of irons 2nd hand maybe Wilson di7's Cobra Fp's or something like this
http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/09Cobra_SZ_Irons_Steel_Shafts.html

Then chuck in a hyrbid and putter and thats plenty to get you into the game.Of course you can add to and chop and change but you are better off with some decently made clubs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You want something with a large cavity back for as much forgiveness as possible. Look at the old TM burner range, Callaway big bertha etc and see what some of the older versions are going for.

A half set may be the way to go and certainly a cheaper option and at least you'll have some clubs to practice with after you've had lessons. I'd get at least 6 (most pros offer discounts on block bookings) so you can learn the basics step by step.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it was me and I was starting from scratch with what I know now;
I'd buy a second hand set of "good" irons out the paper (standard cavity-backed in steel shafts). I'd buy a 3 wood either 2nd hand or a half decent brand from Sports World. Add a putter (maybe used again?) and a nice carry bag from a sports shop. You should be able to do that for £100 (or less)+20+20+30.

If you are starting out, play with the 3 wood, maybe just the 5 iron down, and if you get into it, pick up a hybrid/rescue club.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
check out jjb online half set 99 pound. good enough to start with. once you get better get custom fitted, and then you have a spare set for when you get your pals addicted. cheap set, 10 years ago i bought a full set of spalding lee trevino including bag for 125 pounds, and past them on to a friend. ps welcome to the forum and to golf. golf is addictive :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you have a fast swing then a starter set is not for you. The irons are generally OK, if you go for a reasonable make, but the woods will be the weak point. The shafts are frequently too soft, way too much flex so lots of opportunity for a massive slice. Not so sure of the hybrids but in the set I had there was very little difference between them - waste of a club.

Better option is to build a second hand set using decent makes.