Been giving new drug to take

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi All,
Bit of a long shot, but was wondering if anyone here takes a drug called Ramipril, Its mainly used for, I believe, to help lower blood pressure.

I have just been put on to it, not for my blood pressure, been told that is spot on, but as 40 yrs ago I had a heart opp, and its good for the heart muscle, or so they say.

Have been reading about the Ramipril and seen lots of reports of people having problems with tiredness and feeling dizzy when bending down.

So was wondering if anyone does take it and has it affected the way you keep fit or play golf? I do a lot of swimming and play a lot of golf (badly) and have been known to pop out for a 20-30 mile bike ride.

Did ask the doctor, but he just said “time will tell how much golf and swimming you can do” Not very helpful !!

I’m normally quite active, when not working and not looking forward to slowing down.

Cheers all

Del

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I took it for a while after a by pass with no real problems but have since changed onto something else. In all honesty the tinternet is not the best place for these kind of issues. Chat with your doc if you have concerns. Unfortunately with most medication there are side effects but you need to outway that against the benefits.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ramipril is an ACE inhibitor and is one of the most widely used drugs in the world. It is well proven to be effective against high blood pressure and heart muscle function and is generally well tolerated with few troublesome side effects.

Taking ramipril should help your exercise tolerance, if anything, although riding a bike for 20-30 miles ain't too shabby, but it won't help your chipping or get rid of that slice. No need to change what you are doing, just listen to your doc and your body, and maybe your wife too, especially if she thinks golf is a good form of low impact exercise.

I am a medically qualified doctor working in pharmaceutical R&D and have been involved in research on drugs like ramipril in the past.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was first given it after my bypass Op. in my first check up the consultant as usual asked me how I was doing. The only issue I had was a consistent cough, he put it down to the Ramipril and took me off it. After I stopped taking it the cough went.So apart from that no other issues.

DCB

Visit site
Been on it for 5 years with no side effects and it certainly does what it says on the tin. Was put on it by a Consultant who is a top man in his field. Never looked back.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks to you all for replying.

I was getting a little bit worried when I was told I was to put on to this tablet, not knowing nothing about it and my doctor (who I do like and trust) didn't really go into the pros and con's of it, was just a case of " start taking them and see me in a month"

Its good to hear from a few people with first hand knowledge of it and pleased to hear all the positive things about it, so a big thanks you.

I started taking it yesterday and can confirm that what Ethan said is sadly true, this drug does not and will not cure a slice, 5 of the tee today :whistle:

Cheers all

Del

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My wife took it and started suffering from a cough and dizzy spells, after changing to another drug these effects disappeared. Her GP said he had quite a high rate of these side effects with Ramipril.

You should be fine with it but thought I would let you know there can be some problems for some people.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
its one of the 32 tablets a day i take and have no side effects of any of them,go along with the doctor but if you have concerns just ask them,good health.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
its one of the 32 tablets a day i take and have no side effects of any of them,go along with the doctor but if you have concerns just ask them,good health.

Maybe you just aren't aware of the side effects mate.. Those of us that read your posts are certainly aware though :D ;)

How's Royal Ashton doing??

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would trust your GP and beware of nonsense stories of side efects that trolls put on the net. When I first went on Lisinopril for BP i read up to expect a comination of impotence/spots/dizziness/depression/anxiety/squits/ etc etc.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe you just aren't aware of the side effects mate.. Those of us that read your posts are certainly aware though :D ;)

How's Royal Ashton doing??
doing fine when you fit to take me on,we would look a right pair of crocks,the side effects only kick in after 3 or 4 lge g&t's on my second now hic !!!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
doing fine when you fit to take me on,we would look a right pair of crocks,the side effects only kick in after 3 or 4 lge g&t's on my second now hic !!!

I'll take you on soon matey.. Just building up to regularly playing 18 now. Can only do once a week at the moment and my golf is not a pretty sight..:D

Enjoy the G&T's. I'm an hour away from opening a nice bottle of Merlot and settling in for the night..:thup:

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well after taking the Ramipril for 10 days, I was taken off them due to very bad side effects, mainly headaches and blurred vision.

So had a few days to clean myself of the drug and now been put onto Losartan Potassium (25mg) so heres hoping all will be fine this time.

Been told they do the same thing but might take a little longer to work and not to exercise for the next 10 days :confused: