been away from golf for a while

golfstick

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello everyone, first post and desperatly in need of advice! I play off 1,,,,,,,,, well i did 2 years ago and I hit my first golf ball since then just yesterday and it was messy :) ahah. Basically my knowledge of the sport has dwindled and I need a total revamp. I have my swing measured and reviewed as I went to get some new clubs in an attempt to start up again. My current set are taylormade MB irons which were nice yet now with no confidence behind me look terrifying! I also have a cleveland launcher 3 wood 13* and a Taylormade 210 tp 8.5* driver. Basically Im now way off the pace and I have no idea what is the best kit anymore. I went to american golf discount where they just tried to bully me into buy the most expensive stuff of everything!

I looked at the new R9 supertri driver and this is a winner. I didnt try another driver that nite that was any better. I hit the 9.5* set up for a slight draw and they monitored me with there expensive flight monitor kit (very impressed with the kit.). My stats showed that after 35 balls with it I hit an average carry of 282yards with a swing speed average of 124mph. The guy just kept looking at me saying you swing very hard as if i was doing something wrong but most drives where going like an arrow (probablyy the massive driver head!). Is my swing speed not normal because I have no idea and he certainly didnt fill me with confidence infact made me feel like i was doing something wrong. Is there a better driver suited to me do you think judging from what I just said? I was very impressed with the R9 though.

Iron wise, I tried loads. He kept trying to sell me callaway x20's and i hit them well but I also though callaway werent that good at producing irons for low handicappers. What would you guys opt for on the market if you were in my position?

I basically want a complete overhaul of my kit so I can spend winter practicing in an attempt to hit next season running

Sorry for my long winded post but I appreciate any help.

Thanks

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't play the same game as you....BUT, you don't want a set of X-20s, that much I know.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
More like a set of MP58's or 68's from Mizuno or something similar from another brand.
You have a Tour-Spec swing speed My Friend!

Welcome to the Forum.

EaseNgrace

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You've obviously got a real talent and with a 124mph swingspeed and a modern driver in your hands you should be able to come back to the game full of confidence.
The MB's are lovely irons that i've always fancied trying myself, but there are now loads of irons on the market aimed at the better gofers that do allow a bit more room for error. Something like Mizuno MP-58, Titleist AP2 etc.
Oh and bagsy the TM MB's if they ever come up on the for sale section.

golfstick

Head Pro
Visit site
RGDave - I used to have the X14's back in the day (way back lol) and i remember them being quite dead when you hit them, i didnt get much feel. With my TM muscle back irons i feel like I have lost distance with them. I dont know if this is because they are nearly five year old and when untouched for 2 years? There were a couple of nike blades on show which looked very nice but im just totally out the loop now with the equipment. I even tried r9 irons! these were a bit wierd, felt strange when you hit them, a bit like they were drivers in the shape of irons (if you know what im trying to say). What makes the x20's bad if you dont mind me asking?

Imurg - my dad has Mizuno blades and I have never been struck on their clubs at all I just dont like the way they sit for some reason, must just be me tho. I dont want to go full blade, im after a little forgiveness as my confidence is just gone at the minute. Im looking at joining a new course as well and there greens are tiny!

Swing speed wise, i used to be a little weed however I decided to try and beef up over the last 2 years. Put on a gud 2 and half stone ("mostly"muscle lol!) and this has helped alot! I fell like I could rip into the ball now if i really wanted to only my ball flight goes crazy high quite a lot of the time which is super annoying and something I want to change only i dont know how.

How do you all rate the R9 driver then, worth a purchase?

golfstick

Head Pro
Visit site
EaseNgrace - haha they are beautiful irons, and when new i felt a brilliant teeing up with them. The sit amazing which is part of the reason I went for them. American golf discount offered me a shockingly bad price for them lol, I almost felt like giving him what for haha. I should have expected it really as they are old, but they still just look too good to sell for peanut! I might pay a visit back and check these MP58s out!

I will say one thing, my TM RAC sand-wedge still works as perfect as ever. I expect most people still prefer clevelands but I think RAC wedges are quality

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Been through a similar process to you last year, having had knee problems and come back into the game. Not as low as you but hit it similarly hard.

First comment I'd make regarding clubs is that at your clubhead speed, i'd be more worried about making sure you get the right shaft than clubhead (obviously being fitted should ensure this).

With regards to drivers, its a very personal thing, the Taylormade is nice, Id also look at the Titleist 909D (or the 910 if its now out), The Ping Rapture, Callaway Ft9.

With irons I personally went for callaways x-forged irons, a sort of compromise between the old school blade and a cavity back, theyre not overly soft but theyre a decent compromise for me, as would be something like the Titleist AP2. Blades wise Mizuno usually the place to start though for me the Titleist MB710 are aesthetically nicer, or even stretch to something like a Miura blade.

Wedges there are many decent ones these days, Titleist Vokeys, Cleveland, Mizunos etc, again its a taste thing, personally trying to change from Cleveland CG12s to the Titlest Vokeys (I want the feel of a bit more weight in the head).

Best of luck getting back into it.

golfstick

Head Pro
Visit site
Fundy - im glad to see people can leave the sport for a while and come back well! however I am sorry that it was for medical reason, hope all is well. I appreciated your advice and I will take this on board.

Fitted wise, I get the felling that american golf would have just let me walk out the shop with whatever was in my hands! In the past ive never been a fan of these places, always preferred my local pro however as I currently reside at no course (looking tho! and possibly a later post to see if anyone has any recommendations for my area.)

I think the R9 will be my weapon of choice as the weight technology could really benefit me. As I found out a couple of days a go, hitting it hard mean that when it goes wrong, the ball goes oscar bravo! they said they would give me 40 quid for my TM 510 TP which i cringed at but i can understand. Shaft wise i think it only comes in Fujikura Motore 60-gram shaft stiff or reg so i guess stiff will have to do?

His recommendations for the callaway irons lay with the uniflex shaft which apparently will adapt to my swing. He said that because it is heavier than normal clubs it will bring my SS down and hopefully lower my ball flight. Not convinced and i think hitting the ball high is something i just have to deal with.

Ive always liked titleist wedges i must admit. I noticed that the majority of wedges now have smaller groves milled into the face amongst the normal groves, this is new to me and would normal scream illegal! I know I must sound stupid but honestly in 2 years I dont even think I watched golf on the TV more than 3 times, my equipment knowledge really is this bad, im sorry!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Please go and have a fitting away from the branded stores, find a proper club pro who does fittings, or a branded demo day or fitting centre. Like you im not fully upto speed on the current products, but if your clubhead speed is geuinely 120mph+ id be amazed if a standard stiff shaft is gonna be optimal, you need a proper custom fit to find the right shaft. The places that do proper custom fit will have a selection of heads and shafts they can interchange until you find what is right for you

this is from TMs site http://www.taylormadegolf.eu/custom-fitting/select-fit.html - they have 15 driver heads and 17 interchangeable shafts which shows you how bad the AG advice was, you can find the same for most of the manufacturers on their websites.

Likewise I find it hard to believe a uniflex shaft is right for you in your irons. Id expect on a custom fit you'd be specced with something much stiffer with a high kick point which would reduce your ball height (i have an x stiff rifle shaft in my irons and my ball flight is much more penetrating). Again, like the driver a custom fit where you can try different heads and shafts is imperative imo (my iron fitting took best part of 3 hrs).

Hopefully some of the "pros" on here will stop in and clarify/update my thinking for you.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
124MPH swing!!! Oh my Lord! That huge. I thought I was a big hittier with a 114MPH driver and 94MPH swing speeds.

Where you living?

Have a look at the Nike split Cavity and trust me hit the Mizuno MP58 you WILL like them and if you dont ill just think your strange.

golfstick

Head Pro
Visit site
HAHA thanks. It can only be down the hitting the gym so hard during my time away from it all. I know hitting it hard isnt everything but im sure i can hit it harder than that just my swing is so out of tune I dont think im properly loading my power during the back swing anymore. ANyway I dont really want to hit it harder this is more about the clubs lol.

Im a north east lad, been a way for a while but now settling back down there and in search of a course to call home.

Went to another place today and looked at more irons. This time they recommended callaway x22 tour irons! I dont know what it is but i must have a face that screams "i need callaway irons!". they were however surprisingly good. I saw the mizuno irons but didnt have an option of trying them due to time as i only noticed them towards the end. Their price is pretty hefty mind you.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
didnt have an option of trying them due to time as i only noticed them towards the end. Their price is pretty hefty mind you.

Quality costs money fella. TRY THEM ASAP! Keep us updated with what you get and try to make a forum meet to hack it around with us.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You really need to go custom fit thoughout the bag. Especially the driver, but also the irons. Do not buy from AG, they must see someone like you once every 20 years, and won't have a clue. I am not a big hitter (but not short either), but my driver swing speed is 96 mphand I have been fit for stiff. This is still a higher than average swing spped, and this is more what AG are used to dealing with.

Can you get to the Belfry? Alot of manufacturers have fittings there. Worth a day out really, as these things are expensive to get wrong.

Iron wise Titleist CBs, Mizuno MP58s, Callaway X22 tours, any of these are nice clubs which would do you fine. Just get the right shaft to fix your launch angle.

golfstick

Head Pro
Visit site
HTL - will do and would defo go for a knock around like, maybe once the game is in shape! cant see you guys playing up my neck of the woods much tho! These mizunos come highly recommended!

golfstick

Head Pro
Visit site
You really need to go custom fit thoughout the bag. Especially the driver, but also the irons. Do not buy from AG, they must see someone like you once every 20 years, and won't have a clue. I am not a big hitter (but not short either), but my driver swing speed is 96 mphand I have been fit for stiff. This is still a higher than average swing spped, and this is more what AG are used to dealing with.

Can you get to the Belfry? Alot of manufacturers have fittings there. Worth a day out really, as these things are expensive to get wrong.

Iron wise Titleist CBs, Mizuno MP58s, Callaway X22 tours, any of these are nice clubs which would do you fine. Just get the right shaft to fix your launch angle.

Im not going to be able to get to the belfry unfortunatly its just too far away but i might go and seek further advice from a local pro. Maybe I should try and look at shafts that are a little stiffer to see what they can do.

I must admit that when I asked the guy at AG to help me find something to help my high ball flight i didnt expect the response "well as you hit it that hard your always gunna have that problem you cant change it". A more penetrating ball flight would be an extremely nice thing to have!