Beautiful Swings.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Oosthuizen - stood on the range watching him at Wentworth a few years back trying out different drivers and his smooth, rhythmic swing was a joy to watch

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Adam Scott all day. I’d love that sweet swing.

Looking at Scott playing Jack's place and not sure where the beauty is.
By what are people judging a beautiful swing ? Is it an aethetic thing independent of golf and where the ball goes - almost like a ballet or gymnastics move ? Or a conformance to some ideal perfect swing ? Or judged on what they make the ball do ?

sunshine

Visit site
Yes it works for him but looks too forced for me, I think it's why he's had so many injuries (whilst not driving a car).

Not sure any of his injuries are from golf.

Tiger's swing may not have been the most aesthetically pleasing, but he has certainly understood his swing - the swing - better than most. Got to be beauty in the sheer efficiency of the dynamics and ability to hit every shot with it.

The Tiger stinger with a long iron or 3 wood is a thing of beauty.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

Tiger's swing may not have been the most aesthetically pleasing, but he has certainly understood his swing - the swing - better than most. Got to be beauty in the sheer efficiency of the dynamics and ability to hit every shot with it.

I think a lot ofhis lower back problems stem from his swing

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Oosthuizen - stood on the range watching him at Wentworth a few years back trying out different drivers and his smooth, rhythmic swing was a joy to watch
Many of the South African swings are joys to watch! Ernie, Retief, Immelman, Schwartzel, Grace are others who have lovely flows to their swing. But Oosthuizen, Goosen and Immelman are particularly so. Ernies is hypnotic - looks 'slow' but is definitely not!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I can't disagree more. He looks like he is putting a lot of strain into his lower back. He creates a lot of separation between his upper and lower body that he releases quite violently. This doesn't take away his great golfing achievements and skill.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

So given the title of the thread....
Seems to me that the thread is about 'beautiful' (as in graceful) swings, not as in any other description. Tiger's certainly was a great shotmaker and his Stinger certainly was 'a thing of beauty' though!

sunshine

Visit site
I can't disagree more. He looks like he is putting a lot of strain into his lower back. He creates a lot of separation between his upper and lower body that he releases quite violently. This doesn't take away his great golfing achievements and skill.

I'm sure you're right. But I think his injuries started from running / lifting weights / playing with the navy seals

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having watched the golf from Sweden yesterday reminded me of what a great swing Annika Sorenstam has and why she won so often.

The Dog.

Visit site
I am no fan of Tiger Woods but can appreciate that his swing has a savage athleticism that transformed accepted wisdom on distance and control. But it isn't beautiful.

Sam Snead was similar in that he blew the rest of the field away in his day with the distance he outhit rivals but where Slammin' Sam differs from Woods is that he had the greatest, most beautiful golf swing in the history of the game. In my opinion anyway. Absolutely pure timing and tempo. Genuinely beautiful.

Check it out here.

sunshine

Visit site
I am no fan of Tiger Woods but can appreciate that his swing has a savage athleticism that transformed accepted wisdom on distance and control. But it isn't beautiful.

I understand what you're saying here. I've often seen Tiger lashing at the ball - it's impressive but not aesthetically beautiful. However, when Tiger slowed down and played controlled shots, eg wedges and iron approaches, it was beautiful to me. So efficient, so perfectly synchronised that he could effortlessly hit any trajectory or shot shape at will. I stood on the range at the Open, and when he did a demo in Hyde Park, and he put on an incredible show

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Matthew Wolff has to get a mention. There is a lot to admire in how he shows the so called teachers of the golf swing that they know little or nothing every time he swings the club.