beaten up

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only played either of them once, so not sure they really quailfy, but ...

Nicklaus @ St Mellion or
St Enedoc

The Nicklaus was just brutal, but St Enedoc had so many blind (or restricted view) shots that someone like me - who perhaps ain't quite that straight off the tee - had bog all chance. I'm sure it's a cracking course, but personally, it doesn't especially beckon me back.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Ullesthorpe for me. Played in their open for the last four years and yet to beak 110. Need to take some tips from Crow as it's his home course.

Now you've broken 90 (as per your other post, well done!) it should be easy.

I can give you a game in the evening, this Friday say at 5.15? Course will be pretty empty on a Friday so we should get round okay.

Or wait for some other time if you prefer, when the evenings are longer or at a weekend.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Burnham and Berrow is a course which I have played many an occasion but have only ever matched my handicap once. It's SSS is 2 over whereas ours is one under and I reckon if I joined there I could see an extra 2 shots on my handicap.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
West Lancs the best I have ever scored is 33pts .
This was enough to win on the day .
I have lost more balls here than anywhere.
On a nice day no wind it’s still a beast.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Now you've broken 90 (as per your other post, well done!) it should be easy.

I can give you a game in the evening, this Friday say at 5.15? Course will be pretty empty on a Friday so we should get round okay.

Or wait for some other time if you prefer, when the evenings are longer or at a weekend.

Cheers Nick, I'll check if I can get away early this Friday and I'll send a message.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
For me it’s actually my home course, Wychwood Park. It’s certainly in the top 3 toughest courses I’ve played. I rarely play to my handicap round there. There’s all kinds of trouble all over the course and it’s long. You make one mistake and it costs you 2 shots not 1 and you can quite frequently get punished for good shots. Standard scratch on the card is 74 (+2) and off the back pegs it’s 76 (+4). Comp scratch is usually 74 but now and again creeps up to 75 and even reduction only a few times a year. If you shoot 36 points you’ve had a great knock but if you’re struggling then it can totally demoralise you.

Do you find your handicap “travels well”?

Dannyc

Visit site
For me it’s actually my home course, Wychwood Park. It’s certainly in the top 3 toughest courses I’ve played. I rarely play to my handicap round there. There’s all kinds of trouble all over the course and it’s long. You make one mistake and it costs you 2 shots not 1 and you can quite frequently get punished for good shots. Standard scratch on the card is 74 (+2) and off the back pegs it’s 76 (+4). Comp scratch is usually 74 but now and again creeps up to 75 and even reduction only a few times a year. If you shoot 36 points you’ve had a great knock but if you’re struggling then it can totally demoralise you.
Great course wychwood Park is played it few times great challenge off back tees

Wolf

Visit site
Leeds Castle near Maidstone.

It’s a really picturesque short course (9 holes) with mixture of par 3 and 4’s. I always play 18 there and am yet to break 85 (68).

Was one of the first course I played. I reckon if I went there now with just irons and less I’d get round in a high 70’s as the trouble is always off the tee at 200yards plus. But that takes the fun out of it.
I've played there 5 times over the years it's short not hard and has always turned me over as well 😒

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Royal pain in the backside cinque ports. If it’s not the wind it’s the rain. If it’s not the rain it’s the wind and rain. If it’s not the wind and rain it’s the greens. Then it could be on a bad day the wind, rain and the greens. Have played it 8 times in my life and have 8 different scars. But one day this crap fat old golfer will get his own back and beat this course.

D

Deleted member 1418

Another for Royal Cinque Ports. Granted the weather hasn't been the best whenever I've played it but it takes great delight in giving me a good kicking nonetheless!! :ROFLMAO: But it's a cracking course to play and an enjoyable day out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pinner Hill. It's a shame, as it's really close to where I live, but I think I've played there three times and not even broken 100. Ridiculous. It's just way too long for me and feels like such a hard slog. Seems to be loads of uphill holes and only one downhill one, somehow. On the card it doesn't even look that long, but the 400 yard ones are all uphill so they feel 20 yards longer. I'm really torn between feeling like I need to conquer it, or (more likely) just never playing there again because I hate it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
PGA course at the Belfry. OK, my handicap was too high to be playing it at the time but very long rough just off the fairway meant anything not straight was a lost ball. Never felt so embarrassed to be on a golf course as I hacked my way around. Will have to give it another go some day.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
PGA course at the Belfry. OK, my handicap was too high to be playing it at the time but very long rough just off the fairway meant anything not straight was a lost ball. Never felt so embarrassed to be on a golf course as I hacked my way around. Will have to give it another go some day.

I wouldn't bother, I've played it a few times and every time have had the same experience as you.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
another vote for the Nicklaus at St Mellion, love the course and the design is superb if you're a scratch golfer or a pro, but for us mere mortals have a 450 yard par 4 with a 15 yard wide fairway is just disgusting

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
Do you find your handicap “travels well”?

Yes very much so. Regularly shoot 40 points at other courses and even shot +7 twice this winter at 2 other courses. Best I’ve ever shot at wychwood is +10 and I felt like I played out of my skin that day. It’s such a difficult course but definitely makes you a better golfer. I don’t think I’m being arrogant when I say I’d be a 9-10 handicap if I was a member anywhere else.