BBC top earners

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I don't care what anyone earns. However, the BBC is unique in its funding by not having to compete for funding in the way 'commercial' media must. Thus, it is an artificial market in which the BBC does not need to engage.

Consequently I believe they should have a cap - if the so-called talent migrates so what:the breadth and depth of programmes could broaden employing more people.

Of course they need to engage in some form of wage competition to get the talent, wages are a significant part of anyone's decision where to work. And if the talent migrates then you are left with the dregs. Which I am sure will please the usual suspects as it will add to their cries to shut the BBC down as the programs are all rubbish. But in a world of fake news, alternative facts and politically controlled media I'd argue we need the BBC to be as strong as we can.

And as for the breadth of programs not being broad enough, name me one other broadcaster that covers so much on the TV, radio and websites? Trump called them fake news so they must be doing something right....

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
D

Deleted member 15344

BBC spending £700,000 pa more on one fairly average football presenter than their entire coverage of Scottish football.

Prob because more people watch that football presenter than watch the coverage of Scottish football - supply and demand

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Prob because more people watch that football presenter than watch the coverage of Scottish football - supply and demand

I get that, but it is the BBC [not Sky etc] and it is supposed to be 'balanced' in it's funding to the four nations.
Pro rata Scottish football should receive around £5.5m pa of BBC funding instead of the paltry £1.3. million.

Re supply and demand, you could argue as the BBC do not invest in Scottish football at the same level as English it has created a false market.

Looking at it differently.
Do you think it is fair that Scot's BBC subscribers should subsidise English football to the tune of £4.2m a year.?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doon, if you get to that stage then you have to break down every aspect of spending to a regional level. There may be areas that Scotland does well out of, others it does not do. Same for every region. Win some, lose some. If you are happy for Scottish tv to lose money in other areas so that football gets more then beware the Pandora's Box that you are opening. I am sure Welsh and English licence payers will subsidise your programming at some point.

The real problem for Scottish football is not that the BBC does not pay much for it but that no one else does. The real money in football is from the commercial broadcasters, Sky, BT, ITV etc. If Scottish football had greater pulling power it would get more money from one of those.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wonder if, given the BBC uses tax payers cash, those tax payers would still pay a couple of Radio DJs 2mill or use it for nurses, surgeons teachers etc ! In the scheme of things a DJ, with zero responsibility, is overpaid at 500K pa.

I reckon there's plenty of talented presenters who'd work for a salary the same as the PMs.

D

Deleted member 15344

I wonder if, given the BBC uses tax payers cash, those tax payers would still pay a couple of Radio DJs 2mill or use it for nurses, surgeons teachers etc ! In the scheme of things a DJ, with zero responsibility, is overpaid at 500K pa.

I reckon there's plenty of talented presenters who'd work for a salary the same as the PMs.

Surely that can be levelled at any job that a tax payer contributes towards - and certainly not just the BBC. I suspect there is a hell of a lot of people who are getting way overpaid in all many of walks.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of course they need to engage in some form of wage competition to get the talent, wages are a significant part of anyone's decision where to work. And if the talent migrates then you are left with the dregs. Which I am sure will please the usual suspects as it will add to their cries to shut the BBC down as the programs are all rubbish. But in a world of fake news, alternative facts and politically controlled media I'd argue we need the BBC to be as strong as we can.

And as for the breadth of programs not being broad enough, name me one other broadcaster that covers so much on the TV, radio and websites? Trump called them fake news so they must be doing something right....
But many of the current people are already 'Dregs' how much worse could it get. Oh! who are the 'Usual Suspects'?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Yes - but would anyone watch or listen?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes - but would anyone watch or listen?
Would it make any difference if different people presented these programs! There must be many very talented people who could do just as good or better for more realistic salaries and that goes for many areas in life not just Television and Radio, Football for example. When these people have gone someone else will do the job as no one is indispensable.

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure that publishing the figures alone is enough and they should also publish the reasoning behind it. For example, Dan Walker is on a higher salary than his BBC Breakfast co-host Louise Minchin but also presents Match of the Day which accounts for the difference. To go back to an earlier example on this thread Adam Woodyat is paid more than Lacey Turner for Eastenders but he has over 30 years on the show compared to her with just over ten.

Yes in some cases it's wrong if people doing the same job are paid different amounts but comparing apples and oranges doesn't give the full story.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If Lineker goes he could be replaced by Garth Crooks. Think on that 😱😱

Talent is always subjective but I know from work, where we have radio 2 on in the factory, that when the main presenters are away the stand ins are often painful and we will turn over. You often don't appreciate how good presenters, tv or radio, are until someone covers for them.