BBC top earners

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
some i don't object to but Chris Evans and Winkleman talent would be stretching it IMO

Evans pulls in the R2 listeners. Winkleman as you say doesn't really strike me as good value for money and neither does Shearer or Lineker for that matter !

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Winkleman does a range of shows as do a number of the names on there. I love a bit of Claudia.

I suspect if they published the same list for ITV, they wont by the way, then the BBC salaries will be dwarfed. People move from the BBC to ITV for cash, not the other way around.

Drewster - people get paid the market rate. If the people want to see you then you will get top dollar. I suspect Susannah Reid is the top paid breakfast tv presenter on either channel. It is up to each individual to make themselves in demand.

Last edited:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not the salaries i find outrageous, in fact they're less than i was expecting but the difference in pay in relation to gender is awful.

You're right mate. The reason the salaries have been disclosed (according to the news) is to discuss openly the gender pay gap.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Of course this is all going to be very subjective regarding individuals. I never watch Holby City or Casualty but appreciate that many do and so the actors should be paid well.

Ultimately they are paid as much as the BBC thinks they are worth and generally less that they could get on a commercial broadcaster, or now companies like Apple and social media companies. Kind of getting upset about it is a bit of a right wing press fascination, a lot of it driven by their own commercial interests or political agenda. Just chill and enjoy what they do, if you can't find anything you like on the BBC TV, Radio or web site then I'd say you are not looking hard enough.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
It's not the salaries i find outrageous, in fact they're less than i was expecting but the difference in pay in relation to gender is awful.

Fair enough, and the chap at the top has mentioned this and said they need to and will do better. But you see the outrage and furore when they give a prominent part to a female actor, PC gone mad, she's only got it as she is a female, etc etc then they will not win either way.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agreed that the transparency has brought this to a head. One thing for sure is that the male salaries won't be coming down in line with the ladies and the cost of equal pay will be passed on somehow.

Whilst i'm not an avid Eastenders fan you can't tell me that Ian Beale (adam woodyatt) is a ten times better actor than Stacey (Lacey Turner). I'm not buying the notion that it is up to each individual to "make themselves in demand" either. Their screen work , radio work etc,etc does that. I'm not even going to ask the question how our learned friends suggest that women should make themselves in more demand to achieve a salary increase !!! I can only grimace in contemplation at what might be suggested.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Surely some are high up on the list because they do multiple programmes, whilst others do one role, and earn a lot for that. Hence the somewhat unfair comparison between winkelman and willoughby on strictly. Without knowing the breakdown, the list is confusing at best.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wish Holly Willoughby did do Strictly. You mean Tess "The Plank" Daly. Holly would not cross to the BBC, she wouldn't take the pay cut. To a large extent without knowing the salaries of ITV, SKY equivalents these salaries are a bit meaningless. You need to know what the market rate is to know if some of these people are over paid.

As has been mentioned some people do numerous shows. Jeremey Vine does a daily R2 show, Eggheads, Points of View and Election coverage.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't care what anyone earns. However, the BBC is unique in its funding by not having to compete for funding in the way 'commercial' media must. Thus, it is an artificial market in which the BBC does not need to engage.

Consequently I believe they should have a cap - if the so-called talent migrates so what:the breadth and depth of programmes could broaden employing more people.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Daily Mail are equally outraged by them. I look forward to all outraged organisations releasing their pay levels in the next few days so they can be compared :rofl:. Yeah, not going to happen.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Evans pulls in the R2 listeners. Winkleman as you say doesn't really strike me as good value for money and neither does Shearer or Lineker for that matter !

a couple of million for Evans i s way too much IMO, every time i listen to R2 he is on holiday and when he is he's plugging a his other projects.

As for pulling in listeners i doubt it R2 listeners would listen regardless of who hosted. i bet Wogan didn't get 2 Mil

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Really what BBC has to pay to engage top and/or popular presenters, contributors, actors etc is none of my business really. I guess it is interesting in a way - but only if you take interest in such as The Sunday Times Rich List. There are a lot of people who earn a lot of money for doing stuff.

Indeed I haven't a clue who half the actor folks on this list actually are - I'm guessing they are in soaps. I don't watch any soaps - but a lot of people do and get a lot of enjoyment out of them - and so that's fine with me that they are well paid. If the licence fee payers stop watching soaps or indeed any other programme it will in time be dropped - and the actors or presenters will have to look elsewhere. That's the power of the licence fee payer. Stop watching.