BBC rugby commentators

CVG

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks that Eddie Butler (the welsh twit) is incredibly biased against England? Why do the BBC use him on the English matches?

I don't mind England getting beaten especially when as on Saturday the other side played better, but I do take umbrage when the commentator is so biased. Taking obvious delight in england's poor play.

We have witnessed quite rightly tributes to Bill Mclaren this year as perhaps the best rugby commentator ever, but nearly all said he was never biased and praised each side equally, sadly we can't say the same about the welsh idiot Butler.

Never rated him as a player either! I'm suprised Brian Moore hasn't decked him!

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funny things commentators, they seem to ebb and flow with the play, one minute side A is the best thing since sliced bread then if they go behind side B becomes the greatest team in existence, and all change when the scores change again.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
i've no problem with the commentators, only the rugby that England play.
Why don't we play an expansive game?
We may as well play with 15 forwards cos the backs don't get used.
Johnno was griping about Ireland getting the scrum at the end. A way of deflecting criticism i'm afraid.
Ireland deserved to win! come on Johnno, give the fans what they want to see.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
I wouldn't class Butler as biased: he's just unispiring as a commentator.

For true bias you need Johnathan Davies: surely the most myopic, biased, hopeless, annoying commentator that ever lived.

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For true bias you need Johnathan Davies: surely the most myopic, biased, hopeless, annoying commentator that ever lived.

Agreed. If I ever found myself in a room with a gun, two bullets, Jonathan Davies and Osama Bin Laden, I'd shoot Jonathan Davies twice.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
BBC's commentary is, staggering to believe, vastly superior to their ability to actually show the firkin' game.

I don't want to see adverts for 'Farting on Ice' or whatever pile of tagnuts they are going to show to early-evening window-lickers while I'm trying to watch a game of bloody rugby.

Oh, and FYI BBC - show me highlight stuff when the game isn't in play. I quite like to see things like lineouts and re-starts, call me an old traditionalist...

Oh, and Butler is, was and always will be a first rate plonker. Terrible commentator with a staggering inability to see what's going on and who is involved.

As for the game, it was daylight robbery pure and simple. A lack of bite in the oppo's 22 doesn't disguise the fact that Ireland were pummelled and had a) a lucky turnover and b) a shocking decision to thank for 2 of their 3 tries. Fair play to them for capitalising, but the dominant team were not the winners.

Not sure Care will be starting the next game mind...

Golfman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Davies is indeed massively annoying as is Eddie Butler. Mind you Brian Moore is not much better.

Maybe a completely new commentary team is in order.

On the subject of a game it would have been useful to have a referee and touch judge who could actually understand each other.