Basic rules knowledge

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're never too old to get your legs smacked :whistle:
C'mon Bob.....what's the point in continuously asking if you want the flag taken out?? When do you sto asking? Fringe? 5yds? 10yds? Bunker?

They should invent a rule that covers it. Something like if you're on the green you have to have the flag removed or attended, that'd save having to keep asking. ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Have to agree.
I just leave the flag alone unless someone asks, but shhhh, don't tell Mimms.
To be fair, I think she meant her playing partners all think you cant have it tended unless you're on the green

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to agree.
I just leave the flag alone unless someone asks, but shhhh, don't tell Mimms.
To be fair, I think she meant her playing partners all think you cant have it tended unless you're on the green

That's exactly what I meant Bob, thank you.

no robobum, i don't continously ask people how they want the flag.
Of course i don't ask when people are in the bunker!
You pretty much get to know if your regular playing partners like the flag in or out if they are putting from just off the green.

Also our greens are quite large and greenkeeper does have a few favourite pin postions off to one side, so it's not unusual for me to have tended or pulled the flag for someone on the green, then the next person is off the green.
I like to have the flag tended as I find having a person there gives me a better perspective for distance.

When Robobum and i get our game, I'll keep schtum about the flag!

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Played in a Seniors’ match yesterday and had a bit of a rules disagreement – a pretty friendly one as he thought he was doing me a favour. One of the opponents was a very experienced golfer – a good 11 handicap who, from his chat, played here, there and everywhere. I had a wayward drive which quite clearly went into very long grass under a hedge. We found the ball and I proceeded to measure 2 clublengths which brought me out of the long grass by about 18 inches. The guy says “you can drop it out further than that, it’s 2 clublengths from the edge of the grass”. I, of course, said “No, it’s 2 clublengths from where the ball lies”.He says “No, it’s 2 clublengths from the edge of the hazard”. When I said it’s a hedge, not a hazard, he shrugged his shoulders and, from his body language, he clearly thought I was mad and didn’t know the rules.
Anyone got other examples of good players who should know the basic rules a bit better than they do?

I was once playing an interclub scratch team match. Playing foursomes, our opponents put their tee shot over the back of the par 3 10th into some deep rubbish. They hit a provisional which ended on the fringe of the green. We found the first ball, they have a thrash at it and move it couple of feet, then the other guy has a thrash and moves it another couple of feet. Then they have another thrash and finally get it on the green for 4. One of them turns to the other, points at the provisional and says 'We'll play that one, it's only lying 3'

These were low Cat 1 golfers!! :eek:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't think I had a contribution for this thread - till today. I was playing 4 ball matchplay with friends, partnering one who visits us occasionally from the South. I holed out and because one of our opponents else was ready to putt, just waited for him to hole out too. I just laughed when my partner claimed the hole because our opponent had holed out while another ball was in the hole as he is a jokey sort of person and there is always a lot of banter in our games. Then he repeated it and I thought, good grief is he serious! Yes, he was serious, he said, that's the rules - 2 stroke penalty or loss of hole if you hole out with another ball still in the hole. He knew it was the rule because the rules person in his club had told them that.

I will wait with interest for him to email me, as requested, with a reference for this rule, but it could be a long, long wait. :)

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I despair.
This week alone my friend and I have played with others who...

In a red staked water hazard ditch, measured from position of ball to determine where to drop.
After hitting into a red staked water hazard, stated "I HAVE to play another from here" thinking there were no other options.
Ball unplayable in a bush - measured 2 club lengths from edge of bush to determine where to drop.
Ball unplayable in bush - wanted to drop back on line ..... the line that the ball entered the bush.

:confused:

I'd like to point out that we put them right before too much damage was done

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When I tee off, I tend to use the far left corner of the teeing area and often stand outside the markers with the ball inside of course.
Teegirl did this sometimes and one day was called for having her left foot in front of the marker. Not allowed said the opposition. :angry:

A friend of mine joined up with a 3 ball and promptly drove into the trees. There was a small twig behind the ball which was in the way.
One of the group said "just pull the twig away, if the ball moves, just put it back where it was. THAT'S WHAT WE ALL DO" :angry:

The same guy was playing with a foreign chap and on the 18th green the chap asked the watching crowd what scores were in (as he was playing well.) 43 points was leading came the reply. The most the chap could score was 41 pts so he 5 putted from 6 feet. He explained he was playing a big comp the next day and didn't want to get cut. :angry::angry: