Banning Songs

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I fear this is another example of people climbing out of their prams unnecessarily? The WRU dropped it from their playlist years ago. Aa far as i know, all that's happened recently is that they've asked visiting choirs/bands not to include it in their repertoire. The use of the word 'banned' is just another example of faux 'anti-woke outrage'. And I tend to agree with the WRU. It may well be a popular song, but it is rather mysogynistic. If they choose not to have it performed by visiting artistes at their venues, then fair enough.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now Ernie dragged him from his van
And beneath the blazing sun
They stood there face to face
And Ted went for his bun
But Ernie was to quick
Things didn't go the way ted planned
And a strawberry flavoured youghurt
Sent it spinning from his hand
Now Sue she ran between them
And tried to keep them apart
And Ernie pushed her aside
And a rock cake caught him underneath his heart
And he looked up in pained surprise
As the concrete hardened crust
Of a stale pork pie caught him in the eye
And Ernie bit the dust
Poor Ernie (Ernie)
And he drove the fastest milkcart in the west

Love this song and sing it quite often to my better half as she thinks it's hilarious.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Cat Stevens, singer-songwriter turned Buddhist:

I'm gonna get me a gun
I'm gonna get me a gun
And all those people who put me down
You better get ready to run
'Cause I'm gonna get me a gun.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is that a popular song ? You'll have to let us know the artist.
It seems very popular amongst many Spurs fans...and contains a reference that is, for many, more offensive than any words in Delilah.

That aside...that the WRU deem banning the singing of it by the Wales National Stadium male voice choir prior to matches sufficient, along with some words of regret and apology, to address the misogyny that has been identified...well...maybe not.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
It seems very popular amongst many Spurs fans...and contains a reference that is, for many, more offensive than any words in Delilah.

That aside...that the WRU deem banning the singing of it by the Wales National Stadium male voice choir prior to matches sufficient, along with some words of regret and apology, to address the misogyny that has been identified...well...maybe not.
Yes it's a football chant theyve been asked to stop many times. I don't see the relevance to Tom Jones Delilah though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes it's a football chant theyve been asked to stop many times. I don't see the relevance to Tom Jones Delilah though.
Some might say the words of both song and chant are misconstrued - and that in both cases the fans do not mean what they sing and say in the way that others might interpret.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
They’d be better off just banning rugby.

Save the rest of us having to listen to any of it. 😂

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I fear this is another example of people climbing out of their prams unnecessarily? The WRU dropped it from their playlist years ago. Aa far as i know, all that's happened recently is that they've asked visiting choirs/bands not to include it in their repertoire. The use of the word 'banned' is just another example of faux 'anti-woke outrage'. And I tend to agree with the WRU. It may well be a popular song, but it is rather mysogynistic. If they choose not to have it performed by visiting artistes at their venues, then fair enough.

Very much this. I would suggest looking into the background of this. It has been the subject of complaint for probably over a decade now but the WRU have done nothing about it. Now they ahve taken this action (which is not as extreme as the press and soclal media would have you believe when it is trying to fuel your outrage). What I hope it has done is get people to look at why this has happened to better understand the serious issues behind this. The WRU are currently facing far more serious allegations relating to sexism, homophobia and these include threats of sexual violence towards women. What this ban represents is tokenism at best as the WRU clamour to be seen to be doing something. There is nothing wrong with the action they ahve taken, as mentioned above, it is not even the ban that social media would have you believe, but there is plenty of reason to be outraged about the far more serious allegations and the fact that this is a pathetic attempt to try and show that the WRU are not the dinosaurs who have ignored discriminatory behavious for years.

There is plenty of room for outrage againts teh WRU but the media are taking people down the wrong path with this.