Bank account hacked

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll tell you my father in laws story.

He was online one day sorting out his late mum's probate etc, closing bank accounts and making sure everything was done as needs to be. The following day he had an email from HMRC saying due to the death there was a £250 rebate due to him, call this number and well sort the payment. So he called, thinking it was to do with all the stuff he was sorting out the day before, gave his bank details for the refund.

Two days later a brand new iphone 10 is delivered to his house, from Virgin with a phone contract. 10 mins after the phone is delivered a chap knocks on the door and says my new phone has been delivered here by mistake can I have it please. Luckily, he smelt a rat so said it was in my name so can't be yours. The bloke was insitent but FIL stuck to his guns and said no. He rang Virgin and they said a contract had been taken out in his name. He checked his online banking and there had been 3/4 low value test transactions. So he had been scammed and conned.

Then 4 hours after the phone arrived a 'courier' knocked on the door and said a phone was delivered by mistake Ive come to collect it to return it. Only trouble was this 'courier' was from DPD but the parcel was from Yodel, so again they told him to jog on.

Over the next 4/5 days 14 mobile phones were delivered to his house!!!

The police aren't interested at all. The phones have been returned to Virgin and the bank have refunded all cash and cancelled all DD's but its been a very worrying experience for him.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've always considered myself to be careful with bank details, on-line etc. but just had a message to phone the bank fraud line today (Barclays) and I've had four on-line payments of around £400 each made!

The scary thing is that they apparently phoned the bank earlier today with my DOB, mother's maiden name, etc to clear the payments....

All money will be refunded but it just makes me feel a mixture of anger and helplessness.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got done for 6 grand 2 years ago on a credit card, someone in the US had a field day in the apple store. Got it all back after about 2 weeks.