Bank account hacked

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had look at my bank statement online last night and noticed a transaction to Tesco on the south coast for £170 that was clearly not mine so I did a suspicious transaction report online. Had a look at the account tonight and there was another transaction for even more. Rang the bank up and they have said there are at least another two transactions being processed so hopefully they can be stopped.

No idea how the card details have been cloned but it is a right pain in the backside. Anyone else had this happen to them?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Happened to Hid couple of years ago, card was used in Brazil and bank picked up on it. Card cancelled and new one issued, all done by the bank very efficiently efficiently

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone else had this happen to them?

Fortunately not, had an attemp a few years ago, but the bank was suspicious so I had a telephone call, the card was stoped and a new one issued within about 10 days. Advisd to visit branch with Driving Liscence if I required to make a withdrawel as a notice would be placed on my account

Hope it all gets sorted for you both

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
yup someone had some fun for several grand on a cloned visa card last year. Credit card co didnt spot it for the holiday for over a grand but picked them up buying up sim cards for a fiver. phoned me up and asked me to identify the transactions, sadly had to own up to 2 of the larger ones being genuine :( they sorted all the fraudulent ones very quickly and sent a new card, very impressed with how it was handled, just a shame there are so many scumbags out there trying it on all the time

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep, 4 times last year.
The last time the person ordered online over £800 worth of stuff from Topps tiles and an click and collect from Tesco.

I contacted Top of Tiles, they were fantastic and helped me no end, they went through every transaction even giving me the phone number of the person, the exact time or every purchase (this helped as I could prove it wasn't me) and the address where the goods were delivered to in London.

Took information to my bank, who didn't want to give me back the money to start with, but after refusing to leave until I saw the manager they did back down, I told them above the info I had, number and address but they were not interested.

So went to my local police station in Salisbury, was told "thanks for the information but as this happened outside of Wiltshire we can't do a lot about it" then said to go home and phone 101 and they might be able to help.
On hold to them for 30 minutes while a young girl spoke to "someone" then told me to contact my local police station.

I have changed banks and so far not had this happen since.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yeah I had this happen a couple of months ago. They bought summat off eBay for a few quid but the bank picked it up. A couple of other things were stopped. Guy off eBay even kept bugging me for feedback even though I recieved nowt.
I asked how the cards could be cloned and they said coz you have bought something from somewhere iffy. They checked my history and all was green. In essence Green is somewhere like supermarkets, trusted places to buy. Which is why GBH it probably never turned up in the first place.
It is a royal PITA.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It happens with alarming regularity and, it seems, remarkably easily bearing in mind the amounts of money that can be fleeced.
Security is pretty crap really. And there's no viable alternative.
If you use huge amounts of cash you're accused of laundering and if you use plastic or online then you risk getting hacked.
It's really quite pathetic that our finances are so open to abuse.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not my bank, but had a phone upgrade contract taken out in my name. I suspect it was an inside job, as it literally happened the day my old contract expired, the contract got cancelled, but the thief had walked out the shop with a brand new iPhone or some other high-end model. I wouldn't have known about it until the payments started coming out, except for the fact that I got a txt message thanking me for upgrading. After that was resolved a CIFAS warning was put on my credit file, which gives extra protection but made legitimate applications form me a pain, as they always got referred to extra security.

D

Deleted member 1740

GBH, i hope it gets sorted for you quickly enough mate.

Is it just a coincidence that since mobile payments and contactless cards, these fraudulant issues seem to be happening more and more?

I much prefer using cash and have refused a contactless card from my bank.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hasnt happened to me yet however everytime I try and buy more than 1 set of cinema tickets on my credit card online in a week they txt me asking is it me?

I used to go weekly with the wife as I got a free ticket and one paid.. and then we used to go to the cheap cinema if we wanted to see another movie.. now we got a baby I go say once every 3 months with my cousins but I always book it so £50 a time on my card.. still txt me everytime check its me

improvement tho... they used to block the card every time!

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No matter how secure you think you are it happens, I have many clients who it’s happened to but we normally resolve it with them in 24 hours.

I find that it’s more someone getting hold of your card details and using them online other than a cloned card they use in shops.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, 4 times last year.
The last time the person ordered online over £800 worth of stuff from Topps tiles and an click and collect from Tesco.

I contacted Top of Tiles, they were fantastic and helped me no end, they went through every transaction even giving me the phone number of the person, the exact time or every purchase (this helped as I could prove it wasn't me) and the address where the goods were delivered to in London.

Took information to my bank, who didn't want to give me back the money to start with, but after refusing to leave until I saw the manager they did back down, I told them above the info I had, number and address but they were not interested.

So went to my local police station in Salisbury, was told "thanks for the information but as this happened outside of Wiltshire we can't do a lot about it" then said to go home and phone 101 and they might be able to help.
On hold to them for 30 minutes while a young girl spoke to "someone" then told me to contact my local police station.

I have changed banks and so far not had this happen since.

Should you have to do all that?

My bank were great. It was about 10pm last night and the fraud department even said they were able to shut down the device that had ordered the goods. With a bit of luck, the orders that were still in transit would have been met at the other end by the police.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A guy in work had a text message through from his bank stating that there was a suspicious transaction on his account and he had to ring a number to discuss it. He had to confirm his security details and account number and said that the transaction was not his. The text was a scam and they had hacked into his banks genuine message number. Luckily he rang his bank straight away and they managed to cancel all the goods that the scammers had ordered.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Should you have to do all that?

My bank were great. It was about 10pm last night and the fraud department even said they were able to shut down the device that had ordered the goods. With a bit of luck, the orders that were still in transit would have been met at the other end by the police.

I spotted the money going out myself and contacted my bank via the hotline number ( Lloyds Bank ) after about 40 minutes on the phone the lady told me, as far as she could see all the transactions came from my phone so I was liable and I wouldn't be getting my money back. It took me just one phone call to Topps tiles to find out the transactions were made via a computer not a phone and the ip address was from London where as I was in Coventry at the time. She couldn't have been any less helpful if she tired.

Thats why I had to go into my bank and make a fuss, I will say one thing, once I got to speak to the manager and told him what I had found out, he straight away refunded my money but told me the Lloyds fraud team might look into it but he couldn't say.

Thats why I tried the Police.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I spotted the money going out myself and contacted my bank via the hotline number ( Lloyds Bank ) after about 40 minutes on the phone the lady told me, as far as she could see all the transactions came from my phone so I was liable and I wouldn't be getting my money back. It took me just one phone call to Topps tiles to find out the transactions were made via a computer not a phone and the ip address was from London where as I was in Coventry at the time. She couldn't have been any less helpful if she tired.Thats why I had to go into my bank and make a fuss, I will say one thing, once I got to speak to the manager and told him what I had found out, he straight away refunded my money but told me the Lloyds fraud team might look into it but he couldn't say.Thats why I tried the Police.
Sounds like the person you spoke to originally either couldn't be bothered or didn't know how to do their job properly.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I read this thread when it was first posted and thought how lucky I am not to have been ever scammed like this. Woke up this morning to a text from my credit card company asking me to text back if a £60 transaction was ok or not I thought the text itself may be a scam, but no, my card had been used about 4 times since my last use of it about a week ago. Strangely one payment was only £0.15 but I guess it might be a tester to see if a transaction goes through?

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've has this done TWICE to me this year alone.

In January I had just over £700 taken from my current account, Halifax refunded the whole amount to me within 2 business days.

Then on Tuesday this week I had my credit card hacked and rinsed as well - MBNA have sorted it all for me though. Funny thing on this one is that I hadn't used it since January!