Debit card cloned - what else should I do?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

To go along with my recent thread about self protection I've now had by debit card cloned and someone has a spending spree overnight, very nice to wake up to this morning! I'm beginning to think moving to this new area was a really bad idea.

Anyways, I had a text from my bank overnight that they'd blocked a suspicious transaction.... all good, well done them. However, I looked at my online banking to see a long list of other "pending" items all of which were not me. Spoken to my bank.....all transactions stopped, card destroyed etc etc.....to be honest Halifax have been very good.

But here's my other thoughts...... I used the card contactlessly at 3 shops in Hastings on Saturday. So I can only guess that it has happened at one of those shops, as my wallett is one of those card cloning self protection jobbies.

Would you/should you contact those shops or just pass that information to the police? Or would you do nothing and consider it dealt with?

Cheers all

Adam

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are lots of ways it could be done, it may not be purely those 3 occasions. It may have happened in those shops but it could have been a customer, not a shop worker.

I have had my works credit card cloned / copied /used etc a couple of times. On one occasion the idiot placed an order online with it and so there was a delivery address. The police had no interest. I couldn't believe it. I believe on the whole you leave it to the bank. They liaise with the police and they take action or not from that point. Feel free to inform the police but I suspect they will tell you that it will be handled between them and the bank.

I've just gone over to Android Pay on my phone. It is supposed to be more secure, partly because it needs my fingerprint to work and something about a jumbled up code each time. Perhaps the crooks will crack that as well but at the moment I think the phones are more secure for contactless than cards. Maybe worth looking at. (incidentally, when you make a payment with Android Pay you get notified within seconds that the transaction has gone through. I would assume that if the details were pinched and used I would still get the notification but I would know instantly it was not me. No need to be checking statements constantly. That seems a good additional security check to me)

I would back up your comments about how well banks deal with this. They picked up on the fraud on my cards very quickly and handled it without any hassle to me really.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all

To go along with my recent thread about self protection I've now had by debit card cloned and someone has a spending spree overnight, very nice to wake up to this morning! I'm beginning to think moving to this new area was a really bad idea.

Anyways, I had a text from my bank overnight that they'd blocked a suspicious transaction.... all good, well done them. However, I looked at my online banking to see a long list of other "pending" items all of which were not me. Spoken to my bank.....all transactions stopped, card destroyed etc etc.....to be honest Halifax have been very good.

But here's my other thoughts...... I used the card contactlessly at 3 shops in Hastings on Saturday. So I can only guess that it has happened at one of those shops, as my wallett is one of those card cloning self protection jobbies.

Would you/should you contact those shops or just pass that information to the police? Or would you do nothing and consider it dealt with?

Cheers all

Adam

Happened to me the other month. Contacted the number on my online accounted and they closed the card down and made sure all the pending ones were fraudulent. Unfortunate part was the fraud team don't get back to you to tell you how its been done. No money lost new card in operation and I check my CC statement's regularly.

D

Deleted member 1740

I’d be inclined to report everything to your bank and let them deal with it.

I’m not a fan of contactless cards.