Ballot system for member times?

stymied

Visit site
Just saw Elie is not allowing visitors during July and August and during that time also implements a ballot for member tee times. Anyone else aware of overcrowding to the point a ballot is needed for member tee times?

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Ballot system is fairly common at clubs in NA, including private clubs. Not always due to over-crowding, just that all want to play at some preferred times (morning?).

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Seems odd to have no visitors at all....is that just at weekends or 7 days a week? You would think that would be the time of year that Elie could maximise income from visitors.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ballotting members for times suggests they either have an exceptionally active membership or they have too many members. Only they will know which one is the case

I've been a member at a very busy club before, faster finger for Saturday tee times. I would not have been impressed by being put in a ballot.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Seems odd to have no visitors at all....is that just at weekends or 7 days a week? You would think that would be the time of year that Elie could maximise income from visitors.
Might be odd but a bold and correct move for their members to have a break from visitors.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ballotting members for times suggests they either have an exceptionally active membership or they have too many members. Only they will know which one is the case

I've been a member at a very busy club before, faster finger for Saturday tee times. I would not have been impressed by being put in a ballot.
It could be that they have a lot of non-local members who spend time over the summer there.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A very large percentage of Elie members are people living outwith Elie who come and spend their family holidays there. Many of them have second homes there.

sunshine

Visit site
A ballot for tee times is ridiculous, unless it’s just for a few peak slots like 9am on Saturday morning.

Having no control on what time you are able to play is not something I would accept.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have on comp in our seniors section where it is drawn partners and tee time (albeit with blocks for time) it is the least supported of all the comps the seniors run.

The club have never tried it but I think the would get a lot of dissent if they did.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If we had ballots to get a game at the weekend I'd join somewhere else even if that course wasn't as good. Seems grossly unfair if you are paying a membership fee and then can't play when you wanted

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I'd imagine it would be the same people getting drawn and the same times in this "random" ballot.