Ball-your best round

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting reading the best ball threads but seriously does it really matter what ball and what condition its in.

In the summer I will play a Prov1x usually found or bought with vouchers but a real body blow if one sails into a bush or field never to be seen again,however in the winter it could be a battered Prov or x or any old ball in the bag.

However my 2 best rounds at 2 different courses have been with battered a old Titleist tour balls and a Sxrizon soft feel battered beyond recognition.

Is it really the premium ball or is it just if your playing well on the day.

I saw Peter Finch mention some real premium balls are coming out soon from various manufactures to rival the Titleist Prov1 and X[about time too] its about time we realised that Titleist PB are way too expensive and need a rival.

Can you remember your best round and wether you played a premium ball or a battered cheaper ball.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting reading the best ball threads but seriously does it really matter what ball and what condition its in.

In the summer I will play a Prov1x usually found or bought with vouchers but a real body blow if one sails into a bush or field never to be seen again,however in the winter it could be a battered Prov or x or any old ball in the bag.

However my 2 best rounds at 2 different courses have been with battered a old Titleist tour balls and a Sxrizon soft feel battered beyond recognition.

I saw Peter Finch mention some real premium balls are coming out soon from various manufactures to rival the Titleist Prov1 and X[about time too] its about time we realised that Titleist PB are way too expensive and need a rival.

Can you remember your best round and wether you played a premium ball or a battered cheaper ball.

rarely play pro V1 these days unless i find newish ones, plenty of decent premium balls from other manufacturers that can be had for less than £20 a dozen if you buy at the right time

not sure why you imply there are no other premium balls currently?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I haven't noticed that it makes any difference to me whatsoever which of maybe a dozen at least half decent balls I use - and whether or not is new or found in the long grass.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I played one of my best rounds with a Srixon Softfeel (the regular one, not the ladies' version I usually play) which I'd found somewhere on St. Anne's Old Links, if I remember correctly. I played my last round in England with it (where I hit a 200 yard drive) and later played a fantastic round on my home course with it as well. I was starting to really like that ball ... but then we parted ways on the first hole of the next round when it decided to take a detour into the pond and the magic was gone:mmm:.

ag655

Visit site
I think it's more a case of confidence - if you're hitting a new/ new ish ball and you trust the brand then you feel better about the shot you're addressing. I had some of my best golf in the summer using Taylormade Project A but then had a stormer with a Bridgestone e6

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

At our level, the ball has very little to do with it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A premium ball feels lovely off the club face but makes no difference whatsoever to my round. Saying that, I'm not great so how much it matters is less to me. I would never pay premium prices as I just lose balls too easily and it would be too painful.

I couldn't tell you what ball I was playing for my best rounds but I can say that a premium ball hooks into rough and water just as well as a lake ball.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
rarely play pro V1 these days unless i find newish ones, plenty of decent premium balls from other manufacturers that can be had for less than £20 a dozen if you buy at the right time

not sure why you imply there are no other premium balls currently?

Yes there are other premium balls but none rival Titleist in Tour wins or Pro's using them.

Just an opinion but if a rival came out with a true contender maybe the cost of the Titleist balls would drop.

I believe manufacturers know this but just cant get in the winners enclosure enough.

Anyway the thread really is about does a premium ball really make a big difference especially for inconsistent amateurs.

D

Deleted Member 1156

My 2 best rounds this year (level and 1 under) were both with brand new Pro V1x's

I always crack open a new ball for a competition round then use then again for bounce games.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes there are other premium balls but none rival Titleist in Tour wins or Pro's using them.

Just an opinion but if a rival came out with a true contender maybe the cost of the Titleist balls would drop.

I believe manufacturers know this but just cant get in the winners enclosure enough.

Anyway the thread really is about does a premium ball really make a big difference especially for inconsistent amateurs.

no other brand spends anything close to what titleist do on golf ball sponsorship, very similar to TMs approach to drivers. id bet most pros havent tried a different ball for 10 years, just take the cheque and play what titleist send them!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I prefer premium balls as they sit down much quicker on landing. It is the difference between 1 or 2 putts or the approach shot rolling into 3 putt country.

Best round pro v although I did once shoot a personal best at the time with a crivit ball from lidl. these things were bricks. No soft at all.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best round ever, 3 under gross ( ok 15 holes, but still felt the pressure of keeping it going over the last 3 ) was with Vice pro plus and it was it's 4 th round.

Been dabbling a bit with Srixon 333's and Callaway soft over the last few weeks with still a lot of leaves around but still come back to the Vice for important comps, it really does perform for me over the others.

Confidence is so important in golf so if by playing a premium ball gives you more confidence then go for it .

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
no other brand spends anything close to what titleist do on golf ball sponsorship, very similar to TMs approach to drivers. id bet most pros havent tried a different ball for 10 years, just take the cheque and play what titleist send them!

True and maybe this is the crux of what I'm trying to get across,because they have had the market share so long and pay big sponsorship can another brand actually be as good but find it hard to break through,and maybe possibly Titleist will actually have a major rival and the cost will reduce.

Not that anyone with any sense will pay the RRP

Fish

Banned
Visit site
True and maybe this is the crux of what I'm trying to get across,because they have had the market share so long and pay big sponsorship can another brand actually be as good but find it hard to break through,and maybe possibly Titleist will actually have a major rival and the cost will reduce.

Not that anyone with any sense will pay the RRP

Will they reduce the price or stand tall fighting their corner and just reduce the amount they send out to ambassadors to compensate, which no doubt we are all subsidising!

My best sub-80 round was with a NXT Tour S

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My best round was with a brand new ProV1x, but I played 36 holes in -2 the weekend before last with a Bridgestone e6 lake ball.

I don't think it matters a great deal provided you like the feel you get from it. I just prefer a spinnier ball when the greens aren't soft.

D

Deleted member 21258

My best round was an under par round about 15 years ago and more than likely would have been a top flite xl2000(used to like those balls and would buy new).

More recently best round this year was with a Noodle soft and long ball, was well battered and didn't have the white paint on all of the ball. Was gutted as light stopped play and was -1 after 14, was really rolling that day.

Best round with a premium ball this year(that I lost on the 14th hole drive) was 75.

I think today every shot I hit into a green stopped within 1-3 foot and its not really wet either, so why do I need an expensive ball (I am playing with the cheapish and nasty balls I could find on ebay, that were pearls).

Clubface delivery is far more important than ball IMHO.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Like Prov1s in good conditions, when the weather sucks and the ball is not bouncing, the NXT is a great ball, goes miles