Ball striking another ball on the green

Barrie J

Visit site
Which is precisely what the Exception to R11.1a says. :unsure:

The OP did not include the information that would have ensured that the exception to 11.1a applied. I suppose I could have said: "Agreed, but note the conditions that must exist for this exception to apply."

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The OP did not include the information that would have ensured that the exception to 11.1a applied. I suppose I could have said: "Agreed, but note the conditions that must exist for this exception to apply."

So?

Copout?!

ColinL speaks with 'significant authority' imo! It pays to have/state/know all the facts before challenging, though that shouldn't stop such (informed) challenges!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

You could indeed, and you wouldn't have been wrong. Alternatively, you could like me have said nothing because the question had been fully answered. :) No big deal though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It was simple question answered straight away with the correct answer.

salfordlad

Visit site
It was simple question answered straight away with the correct answer.
There is one further subtle wrinkle that is not always understood. If you play your ball from the putting green and hit another ball at rest on the green that was at rest on the green when you played, the 11.1a Exception general penalty only applies when that ball you hit was in play. So, for example, if it was a stray ball not in play, or your own provisional ball, there is no penalty. The explanation for this is buried in the detail of the definition of "In Play" which states "When the rules refer to a ball at rest or in motion, this means a ball that is in play."