Ball sense

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
for me its 2 and 2 only,

AD333 during the colder winter soft months (oct-march), DX3 in the summer when greens firm up and you need a bit of spin to help stop (April-sept)

D

Deleted member 1147

In summer I play a Pro V 1X, on the advice of my pro.
In winter I use Titlesit NXT or Srixon Soft Feel, etc as I feel that if it's wet anything will stop or if it's rock hard nothing will stop.
I also don't believe you get the best from a Pro V in the cold conditions (compression?).

A

Alex1975

All of the above;)

I played on the Saturday before the snow hit, it was ROCK HARD out there and I hit a few crazy long drives, it was great fun but rather silly. Our 16th(par 4) I hit a driver and a putter to the hole.... and then another putt.

Sadly all of the above applied, all you had to do was get your driver on target and the conditions did the rest.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only recently committed to a ball - or selection of them. Don't play Titleist as HID does and we have a deal that any I find he gets and vice versa! I do read the manufacturers ball fitting advice about swing speed and distance etc. Having said that I'm not 100% with a ball at the moment and kind of wish I was. Srixon AD333 or Soft Feel probably top of the pile for me but also like some of the Callaways and Taylor Made and Bridgestone (tart!). I also really like the Pinnacle Gold Precision and have to confess to feeling a bit of brand snobbery "pressure" as they get slated and yet I like them and can't tell much between them and the Srixons.

Also won't play Top Flite, Dunlop, Slazenger etc which I find and some of that is brand snobbery but also they can feel like rocks...

amanda try the wilson dx2 and dx3 cracking ball once you use them you will only play them. and the fg tour (prov equivelent but discolours easily)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tend to stick to Titleist. prov's for most of the year the DTsolo (use to be pts so/lo i think) as IMO for the few yards possibly lost in distance i prefer the reaction of them on & around the green .. possibly all in my head but i think im a golfer in there too so it wont be the 1st thing i got wrong in there ha ..

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
During "normal" conditions I'll use any premium ball I happen to have.
But during the Winter anything but a premium ball. I get far too much spin from them and with wet greens I invariably spin back off the front of the green so I use NXT Tour/HX Hot sort of balls.
If it's frozen then I'll use absolutely anything becasue it doesn't matter and you have no control anyway..

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bit of a hijack - what about lake balls? I have only ever bought good quality 2nd hand balls and I guess some are retrieved from bushes but assume some from lakes too. Just before the snow and in the cold snap the lake on our 1st was crystal clear and I found the spot where all the big hitters who taken on too much of the corner splash land. A high percentage of Pro V1's but a couple looked like they had some sort of weird disease and what should have been dimples were in fact pimples.

So - is there a risk attached with buying used even if the are Pearl/A grade?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At our level, for the Winter, probably not.
Wouldn't use them for Comps in Summer but I've used recycled balls before - not refurbished ones though. Steer well clear of them.

A

Alex1975

Bit of a hijack - what about lake balls? I have only ever bought good quality 2nd hand balls and I guess some are retrieved from bushes but assume some from lakes too. Just before the snow and in the cold snap the lake on our 1st was crystal clear and I found the spot where all the big hitters who taken on too much of the corner splash land. A high percentage of Pro V1's but a couple looked like they had some sort of weird disease and what should have been dimples were in fact pimples.

So - is there a risk attached with buying used even if the are Pearl/A grade?

Ye they mostly remove the top layer and refinish them, so they should be fine.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had a dozen of Pro V1 Practice balls last summer and loved the feel and feedback they gave. I found they went as far as the non premium balls off the driver and were lovely to putt with. Im just got going to pay that amount for them so Im going to give the NXT Tours a try from April onwards. I find the AD333s good enough in the winter.

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i never change my ball and use the same one all year round cant see the point of using a diff ball for winter and one for practice and one for comps i will stick with my stars .