Ball position?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's the reccomended position for the ball with the longer irons?

I'm fine with the Driver (cheers Bob), fairway woods and wedges. I am also happy with the mid-irons, for which I place the ball pretty much in the centre of my stance, but I'm unsure about the longer irons 3, 4 and 5 :D

I've experimented at the range and the best results seem to be with the ball place a couple of inches forwards of centre to connect withd a more sweeping stroke.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I find it besst to experiment, for me it is inline with my armpit nearest the target. Works out about a balls width inside the left heel.

But i think the most important position to have constant is the distant you are stood away from the ball. The positionleft to right in front of you will alter the trajectory up and down. If its to close or far away, thats were I find the problems start with slice or push and the odd hook.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Middle of the stance for me or possibly silghtly left of middle (nearer target).

Someone once told me that Monty plays every club from the middle of the stance...not sure how true that is though.

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In between where you have it for your driver and where you have for your short irons?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
.......I've experimented at the range and the best results seem to be with the ball place a couple of inches forwards of centre to connect withd a more sweeping stroke.

You've answered your own question here!! :D

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
It depends on what type of shot i want to play and the type of lie the ball is in.

Stock shots for me are:

Driver - opp left shoulder
Rescue to 9 iron - between left armpit and sternum
Wedges - opp the sternum

Also, stand a bit further away for higher, softer shots. Closer for lower but with more backspin.