Ball position - before you hit it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
This has been my biggest failing going way back into the mists of time. Its more pronounced with the longer clubs, but I daresay it exists in the shorter clubs. Basically, if I don't get it right early in the round I end fiddling with ball position all through the round. Sometimes its too far forward, and I end up with a slice. Sometimes it too far back and I either hook or I stay on the back foot and come over the top and slice.

I think the answer is to develop a proper pre-shot routine, which includes getting the ball position right. But I've never had a formal pre-shot routine - its always been a swish then hit it...

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
This has been my biggest failing going way back into the mists of time. Its more pronounced with the longer clubs, but I daresay it exists in the shorter clubs. Basically, if I don't get it right early in the round I end fiddling with ball position all through the round. Sometimes its too far forward, and I end up with a slice. Sometimes it too far back and I either hook or I stay on the back foot and come over the top and slice.

I think the answer is to develop a proper pre-shot routine, which includes getting the ball position right. But I've never had a formal pre-shot routine - its always been a swish then hit it...

What I do, for stock shots, is take care of my pall position at address relative to my upper body and not between my feet. The reason I work of upper body is everyone stance width with their feet will be different, upper body remains pretty constant at address.

I use this:

[video=youtube;myDHkvQQqaw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myDHkvQQqaw[/video]

Works for me :thup:

brysoni23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Similar to the video for for me too.

2 practice swings away from the ball, look at the the aim line as I approach the ball, then stand over it with closed feet, then adjust accordingly and swing!!!!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same routine as I use. But be prepared to alter it slightly for up or downhill lies. One thing I did was to put a pencil line on my golf shoe just to make sure I did it the same each time. Once it was grooved rub the line out.