Ball on Green, Tight up Against Fringe

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

A couple of times recently I've found my ball on the green tight up against a "fluffy" fringe, can anyone suggest a good way of consistently playing the ball, have tried/practised both with a wedge and a putter but struggling to get any consistencey.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Try playing it with either a Rescue/Hybrid or even a (3?)-Wood.

Takes a little practice - as it flies off the face more than 'normal', but can be used confidently once you get used to it.

Can also be used when on fairway near green or on fringe hard against rough (I've seen - and used - the point/toe of putter for that shot too!).

Also seen Pros 'belly wedge' the ball - deliberately hitting the ball thin!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Belly wedge - use a pitching wedge or GW and aim the edge at the middle of the ball and use a putting stroke

A hybrid is also a good choice but just be careful as the ball comes off a bit hot

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hybrid here too. Also useful when just off the fringe in the rough and not much green to play with. Play exactly like a putting stroke and it will come off much faster but once you get the pace it's a very useful shot to have. Only reason I carry my hybrid as don't use it otherwise!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For those finding the "hybrid chip" coming off too hot, try playing it out of the toe of the hybrid, getting a much duller contact if required

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hybrid here too. Also useful when just off the fringe in the rough and not much green to play with. Play exactly like a putting stroke and it will come off much faster but once you get the pace it's a very useful shot to have. Only reason I carry my hybrid as don't use it otherwise!

That seems a tad backwards - unless you have heaps of space in your bag- or don't want to purchase more clubs! I'd say a Chipper would be a better choice, though you might start liking that too much! My old mixed partner started that way and ended up using it from all sorts of places!

My Coach showed me a shot worth considering for the 'just in the rough' with the toe of a PW (or 8-iron if a long way from pin). Does seem to come out with 'topspin' though, so better if the pin is a good way away.

D

Deleted member 16999

Cheers everyone, will give the Hybrid a try, tried the wedge but couldn't get consistencey, it was either going 12 inches or 12 yards.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whatever shot you use the secret is practicing it.
Personally I can't see any advantage in using a hybrid for the shot you describe - the issue is making clean contact with the face of any club; and that would include a hybrid.
For some putters you can use the toe end, but many can't because of design.
Putting with the leading edge of the gap (or PW) is definitely the easiest solution - it's also good practice anyway and should be done from time to time. Really focuses the putting stroke on the club ball contact point.

D

Deleted member 16999

Personally I can't see any advantage in using a hybrid for the shot you describe - the issue is making clean contact with the face of any club; and that would include a hybrid.
Putting with the leading edge of the gap (or PW) is definitely the easiest solution - it's also good practice anyway and should be done from time to time. Really focuses the putting stroke on the club ball contact point.
Had practised with both Putter and wedge half way up ball, will definitely try the leading edge, cheers duncan

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I usually wait until my playing partners aren't watching and slyly move the ball forward from the fringe with my shoe.
If you time it carefully they will never realise what you have done

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I usually wait until my playing partners aren't watching and slyly move the ball forward from the fringe with my shoe.
If you time it carefully they will never realise what you have done

isn't using a poker chip marker in front of ball and then replacing ball in front of marker less suspicious and easier to execute ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Is the leading edge really the easiest solution ?

Appears to be more chance for error - hit too high on the ball and you have issues , same with further down. Hitting with the leading edge is prob the hardest to get to grips with and the one with the smallest margin of error.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got me thinking today so tried my hybrid (again!) on full shots on the range and 3 poor hits saw it back in the bag. It is a handy holder too for my (club emblem) badger headcover BUT would use my 4i more and currently don't have room. So as tomorrow's round has been called off due to pp injury, I'm going to work on the shot using 7w and also leading edge of wedges.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am with bob here. Rarely needed but come down steep with an iron or putter. Ball will pop up slightly but I find it much better than the belly wedge or hybrid.