Ball In Tree

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This happened today in a bounce round:

ball_in_tree.jpg

Looking at the rules it is not classed as embedded. While on the course I had a quick look at the rules and then proceeded under unplayable ball procedures, dropped laterally within 2 club lengths. I could have returned to the tee or gone back in line as I understand the rules.

So, if this had been a competition round did I proceed correctly?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Provided you can identify your ball in a tree you may, without necessarily recovering it, decide it to be unplayable and take penalty relief. You may substitute another ball. The reference point for the relief area for lateral relief is directly under your ball. You also have as you say, the options of back on the line relief and stroke and distance.

You were spot on. (y)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Provided you can identify your ball in a tree you may, without necessarily recovering it, decide it to be unplayable and take penalty relief. You may substitute another ball. The reference point for the relief area for lateral relief is directly under your ball. You also have as you say, the options of back on the line relief and stroke and distance.

You were spot on. (y)
But sadly not with his drive probably a treewood :p

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
well...this happened to me today as well...got stuck half way up a grassy shrub..on our par 5 hole No 7.....9 holes only....so round twice for the 18....took a penalty drop for one......drilled 6 iron to 50m..pitch and putt..par...second time round....hit it beyond grassy shrub...thinned 6 iron into trees on left...then thinned wedge over green.....pitched back through green and 4 putt........ah the joys!

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site

You were spot on. (y)

Thanks for the confirmation, the tree was only a rotting stump so about 2 feet tall, ball easily identifiable as mine.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Didn't this happen at Wentworth some years ago, involving the pros?
Ball goes in tree. They look up and see a ball lodged in branches. However, can't get to it, so didn't get to it to identifying it.
All players concerned agreed it was obviously his ball.
With pp full agreement he treated it as an unplayable.
Later in the round was penalised as he should have treated it as a lost ball, because he had not identified it as his.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't remember the incident but that is how the rule works although S&D is specifically mentioned in the rule.