Ball hitting another ball on green

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My partner chipped onto the green and hit my ball, which I'd already chipped on, promoting it nearer the hole by a few inches.
Question is;
Does my ball have to be moved to its original postion or can you choose to leave it where it is.
I ask the question because, although we saw the contact, we didn't know exactly where my ball had been prior to being hit.
It made no difference in my case as it was just moved a few inches and I was still around 12 feet away so I just moved it back a bit.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As already posted it needs to be replaced.

You have to make your best estimate of where it was. If you and your fellow competitor, or opponent, agree a point then use it and there's no penalty if it wasn't absolutely accurate - even if it could be subsequently that you gained an advantage. If you cant agree you can either get the committee involved (via 3-3) or (recommennded in such cases) just go with the worst option. The problem with gettting the committee involved is if you lack the evidence to convince another player its unlikely you could convince them!
Playing it from where it came to rest is the option that gets you penalised because you know that it moved so you have knowledge thst can't be sitting where it started.