Ball fitting (it's that time again)!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There have been a few new models around, and whilst the ever present element of feel is important I thought it would be silly not to take up the fitting set up at the range today, that had a slot.

As it turns out it may actually have been silly to do it - it was certainly expensive!

Having only bought a few boxes on very special occasions over the last 25 years (I will admit to having bought loads before that...) i've been happy to play balls I pick up that seem to do the job for me. Generally I've recently enjoyed Chromesoft and RX330RXS as preferred, most premium balls etc etc

Well a bit of time with a 7 iron, wedge and CG2 (or whatever it was) convinced me to actually buy a box of balls.....

RXS was a reasonable fit for me, and gave better numbers than most, but another ball delivered best ball speed, spin and carry with the 7 iron, and best spin on my attempts at a 50yd 'long pitch'.

So, I'm off to a match at the Addington tomorrow with a sleeve in the bag to see what happens in the real world...but with a lighter wallet and a real dread that I may end up buying balls again 😭

I'll share the experience, and the ball, later tomorrow.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do not go buying the new graphene Chromesoft by the box until you have tried one. My trial only got as far as the practice greens and the one I gave my mate to try only made it to the 6th hole before he gave it back to me.

B330RXS for summer and B330RX for winter have been my choice of balls for a number of years. Just coming to the end of my stocks I was looking at alternatives.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do not go buying the new graphene Chromesoft by the box until you have tried one. My trial only got as far as the practice greens and the one I gave my mate to try only made it to the 6th hole before he gave it back to me.

B330RXS for summer and B330RX for winter have been my choice of balls for a number of years. Just coming to the end of my stocks I was looking at alternatives.

It's not the new Chromesoft, or any other ball that gets significant airtime on here; nor have I ever picked one up.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Pray tell why not.......?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not really sure why, but I always go back to the same ball time and time again - the Bridgestone E6.

For some reason, it just doesn’t feel right to me being stood over anything else. A mental thing, for sure.

Fortunately I’m happy playing lake balls and can pick up 100 for £57. I’m a tight git; I’d be horrified at the prospect of losing a golf ball that I paid £3 plus for. 57p? Oh well!

I realise lake balls aren’t for everyone of course, but I’m not fussy!

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was quite impressed by the TM Project (a) that I tried a few weeks ago. Felt every bit as good as the others on slightly softer greens, I've held onto the whole sleeve to try again when the greens toughen up.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I was quite impressed by the TM Project (a) that I tried a few weeks ago. Felt every bit as good as the others on slightly softer greens, I've held onto the whole sleeve to try again when the greens toughen up.

I really like these balls a lot, very good at a decent price, although the last lot I bought were lakeballs. If I'm buying new, tend to buy Wilson DX3 Urethane, a really excellent and underrated ball for the price.

D

Deleted member 15344

Started the season using TMTP5x but for some reason just not been getting on with them , can’t understand why and they don’t seem very durable so today gone back to my old fav the Pro V1x and it felt so much better

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I really like these balls a lot, very good at a decent price, although the last lot I bought were lakeballs. If I'm buying new, tend to buy Wilson DX3 Urethane, a really excellent and underrated ball for the price.

I'm a big fan of the Wilson DX2 - the 2017 version can be had at £1 per ball (clubhouse golf).
I haven't tried the DX3 yet, but reviews seem to be very good for a ball costing £1.66.
Have you played the DX2 - if so, do you notice any significant difference when playing the DX3 vs DX2?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I'm a big fan of the Wilson DX2 - the 2017 version can be had at £1 per ball (clubhouse golf).
I haven't tried the DX3 yet, but reviews seem to be very good for a ball costing £1.66.
Have you played the DX2 - if so, do you notice any significant difference when playing the DX3 vs DX2?

I used the DX2 Optix for most of the winter, it was fine in the cold. I think the DX3 Urethane is a bit softer than the DX2, feels better off the putter and checks up a bit more around firmer greens. I've also used the DX3 Spin, although mostly before they rebaranded it with the "Spin" suffix, prefer that to the 2 in normal conditions.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always stuck with the basic AD333, the tour AD333 or Z-stars. Used to like the bridgstone balls as well.

Recently I brought a 100 lakeballs to take out on the course with me when i'm practicing and trying something new out (I don't take all 100 before someone asks :D). If i hit a bad shot I don't mind losing it, I just drop another and try again.

If I'm 100% honest I don't really see that much difference apart from maybe with the putter. My ball flight and distance seem to be in and around where I'd normally hit it regardless of the make\model of ball and more often it's the strike I put on the ball that causes the biggest variation not the ball itself.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Big fan of the DX2 - its my winter ball, can't use on the summer as our greens are too firm (premium ball in summer). I did try the DX3 spin and surprisingly didn't like them at all. Can't say why, as I never gave them much of a chance and it could well have been me and not the ball that day. Found them light of distance and just didn't like how they felt of the clubface.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

And this was the ball that delivered the numbers for me.....

Whilst things were a touch damp in the match today I didn't find anything to dislike about it - and the distance trajectory and feel all seemed to back up the numbers.

More time needed to deliver any significance to my initial view; especially it's reaction to dry greens on both full, and part, shots.

Don't think I've ever picked one up so it wasn't on my radar at all. Interesting.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
And this was the ball that delivered the numbers for me.....

Whilst things were a touch damp in the match today I didn't find anything to dislike about it - and the distance trajectory and feel all seemed to back up the numbers.

More time needed to deliver any significance to my initial view; especially it's reaction to dry greens on both full, and part, shots.

Don't think I've ever picked one up so it wasn't on my radar at all. Interesting.

Really is a good ball, at least the last model was. They've repackaged it this year, don't know if there's any changes to the ball. I found that when struck well, it goes a country mile, but checks nice into greens, and feels good on the putter. Will happily play the Project(a) anytime.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got a dozen of the Project (s) to try (well 15 as it has a bonus sleeve of yellow ones) and initial reactions are good. However with our greens becoming fiery and quick I've gone back to a premium ball.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got a dozen of the Project (s) to try (well 15 as it has a bonus sleeve of yellow ones) and initial reactions are good. However with our greens becoming fiery and quick I've gone back to a premium ball.

As I posted, the numbers from this ball were better for me than 'premium balls'. I didn't do driving distances though - and will be monitoring that over the next few weeks.

Get your own data - you may be surprised.