Ball comes to rest on prepared Temporary Winter Green whilst summer Competition is still being played

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m sure I read several years ago from a Rules Official that a winter green is a wrong green and relief MUST be taken - in exactly the same way as relief from a ‘summer’ green when winter greens are in play. it doesn’t seem to me to be anything other than common sense as well as care of the course to treat them as wrong greens.
Several of the courses up here in Scotland seem to want to regard them as GIR - with the proviso that relief must be taken from GIR
Previously it was much clearer as to when a 'winter green' was actually a putting green as then defined, and therefore a wrong green when out of play. (see post #5)

It was very common (and I suspect still is) to deem them to be "GUR play prohibited" (what is GIR?) as players seemed to understand that. But it was strictly unnecessary under the then rules.
A club could now simply declare them as No Play Zones and GUR or an Abnormal Course Condition. (Effectively GUR pray prohibited). But they should be identified differently to other GUR that is not a NPZ.
I would advise that an appropriate Local Rule is published when the situation arises

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m sure I read several years ago from a Rules Official that a winter green is a wrong green and relief MUST be taken - in exactly the same way as relief from a ‘summer’ green when winter greens are in play. it doesn’t seem to me to be anything other than common sense as well as care of the course to treat them as wrong greens.
Several of the courses up here in Scotland seem to want to regard them as GIR - with the proviso that relief must be taken from GIR
Recall that a NPZ can only part of either an abnormal course condition (GUR) or a penalty area; it cannot simply be a NPZ.
I

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Recall that a NPZ can only part of either an abnormal course condition (GUR) or a penalty area; it cannot simply be a NPZ.
I

It is a bit confusing when you read the definition

The first and the last paragraph are a bit contradictory.

We use them a lot in newly seeded/turfed areas and just do what it says in the last paragraph using the simple NPZ.

No Play Zone

A part of the course where the Committee has prohibited play. A no play zone must be defined as part of either an abnormal course condition or a penalty area.
The Committee may use no play zones for any reason, such as:

• Protecting wildlife, animal habitats, and environmentally sensitive areas,
• Preventing damage to young trees, flower beds, turf nurseries, re-turfed areas or other planted areas,
• Protecting players from danger, and
• Preserving sites of historical or cultural interest.

The Committee should define the edge of a no play zone with a line or stakes, and the line or stakes (or the tops of those stakes) should identify the no play zone as different than a regular abnormal course condition or penalty area that does not contain a no play zone.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't see the problem. To be a NPZ an area must also be a Penalty Area OR an Abnormal Course Condition (which includes GUR by definition).

If you have a convention for marking GUR (white line say) or a PA (red stakes say), then you should use a different convention if it is also a NPZ. Blue line for GUR say, red stales with black top for PA say.

If you simply say it is a NPZ, what relief procedure does the player have to use? That for GUR or that for a PA?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site

We use them a lot in newly seeded/turfed areas and just do what it says in the last paragraph using the simple NPZ.

No Play Zone

A part of the course where the Committee has prohibited play. A no play zone must be defined as part of either an abnormal course condition or a penalty area.
The Committee may use no play zones for any reason, such as:

• Protecting wildlife, animal habitats, and environmentally sensitive areas,
• Preventing damage to young trees, flower beds, turf nurseries, re-turfed areas or other planted areas,
• Protecting players from danger, and
• Preserving sites of historical or cultural interest.

The Committee should define the edge of a no play zone with a line or stakes, and the line or stakes (or the tops of those stakes) should identify the no play zone as different than a regular abnormal course condition or penalty area that does not contain a no play zone.
Seems clear to me that a NPZ must be part of an ACC or part of a PA.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

We use them a lot in newly seeded/turfed areas and just do what it says in the last paragraph using the simple NPZ.........

Jim. if you did what it says in that last paragraph, your NPZ would be in a penalty area or an abnormal ground condition.

67 under par

Visit site
We are in ‘the changeover ‘ period where the temporary winter greens have been mowed although not in use at present.

On our scorecard it states in NON competition golf the ball MUST be lifted and dropped at nearest point of relief. In competitions it MUST be played as it lies.

My ball landed on the on mowed area and somebody said there is a rule which states that relief should be taken at nearest point of relief.

Is this correct? If so where is the rule please?

if I played from the newly mowed area, despite what our scorecard says, should I be penalised a general penalty. This is no mention of the new rule in the locker room or on view.

Thank you
I’d join a proper club that doesn’t have temp tees and greens if I were you.