Bag set up help!!!

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Right Im a 20 handicap golfer stuck in the 20s.
I would like some advice on my club set up more precisely my wedges.
At the moment my irons/wedges consist of 4 iron to 9 iron, pitching wedge 44 deg, gap wedge 49 deg, sand wedge 55 deg. Im not great with my 4 iron (who is) and feel I could improve my short game so would I be better off dropping the 4 iron, gap wedge and sand wedge and putting in my bag another set of wedges I have which are 50 deg, 54 deg, 58 deg. giving me a much stronger short game set up.
Just to say my wedge play is not bad but could be better.
Any advise welcome.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Swapping your 4 iron for another wedge will not improve your short game.
If I were you, I'd swap the 4 iron for a 21 deg hybrid and have a short game lesson

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Swapping your 4 iron for another wedge will not improve your short game.
If I were you, I'd swap the 4 iron for a 21 deg hybrid and have a short game lesson

What would you say if the Pro suggested he purchase a 58* or 60* Wedge?

m9wst

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the 50/54/58 set you mention, plus the PW from the set, the PW is only used for full shots, the 50 for a full shot or lengthy pitch, the 54 & 58 probably get used the most for bunkers, chipping or pitching over rough/hazards. It does give me plenty of choice and I sometimes think is it too much but if i dropped a wedge there isnt really anything else i'd want in the bag.

I have been spending a lot of time around the chipping green/short game area which is paying off hugely at the moment.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I also use a pw, 50/54/58 set up. I find this covers me for everything from 135 in so I'm happy with that. If I'm having a good day with the driver these are usually the distances I have left. Really need to practice them though.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
3 wedges inc PW should be more than adequate for most regular golfers. I used to play with 3 plus PW but it gave too much choice and I don't feel the need for anything other than PW, 52 or 56

It depends on your distances but since you have a 5 wood, a 21hybrid could be a good option. A bit of club variation but I have gone with 4 deg (ish) gaps: 10.5-14.5-19-23 then 5 iron27deg