Bad Coach Experiences

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I booked a set of 6 lessons once and the second lesson he got me hitting my 7 iron for about 15 minutes while he tidied his range booth up, no input from him whatsoever. I then put my 7 iron away and started to hit my driver to which he commented that I was doing OK even though they were all going off to the left! Never went back for the remaining 4 lessons. Never had and never will have another lesson, rather spend money at the range trying to work it out myself.

Wouldn't cut your nose off, there are some very good coaches out there. I've been lucky, the four I've had lesson with were brilliant, the guy who taught me when I first started, Phil Carlaw, now retired was very good. Had short game and putting lessons off Brian Ridley up here in the North East, he is very good, the club pro where I'm a member is very good and will use him during the winter on my long game. Also had a lesson with Rick Shiels after I won the auction at last years H4H event and while his lessons are more expensive than others, I would very much recommend him.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Quite a few years ago when I was quite a new player I went to pro as I had the sherman tanks and after a "free" assessment booked 6 lessons - after 2 lessons where he seemed to only get me to hit a tyre and a pouffe I was so bad I never went back for the rest.

He teaches to a formula basis at a driving range and as a frequent user of this facility I have watched him wreck so many players - end results of his wisdom are at my club with horrific swings and rising handicaps until they go elsewhere to turn the corner.

I would never recommend going for the series of lessons at a discount until you have established if the two of you can work together but it is very difficult to find someone that works for you and recommendation though useful may not provide a positive outcome as down to individuals and we are all different.