Backswing/Downswing transition help

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I have a few improvements to make here but really struggling, if I try to be less steep as I get to the the top and get a bit more from the inside my swing falls apart.

Any tips to correct the below?

My distances are not very long but I am quite straight, usual bad shot is miss right.

Edit: RIP my lawn :(

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd like to see you hit a ball on the course

Pretty straight, not long, 7 iron was 130 into a slight headwind today.

Starts looking a little left but doesnt diverge far from my target. Miss is right due to dropping down on the inside too much (you see I need to do that at the top to get back on plane as I pick up too steep.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Notwithstanding Bob's totally correct observation...

Doesn't seem to be much/enough hip turn, the consequence of which is the seemingly too upright backswing. Correction is made pretty early in the downswing, but shouldn't be necessary in the first place (if you turn your hips more in the backswing.

Not the best way to treat your lawn either!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I notice that too, I think it’s the weak point in my game, whenever I try to add it my swing goes to pot.
Well, either keep trying - and recognise that there's a potential to 'return to that issue' - or, being a recreation (amateur) cf a career (professional) live with the 'problem and consequences' while improving your game elsewhere - such as short game/putting.

I'm easily recognisable as a 'hockey player turned golfer' and a cricket player's golf swing is pretty easy to tell too. But while getting coached into the 'perfect' swing (there's no such thing imo) might work for Pros, there's better areas of the game to 'invest in', for handicap golfers, imo!' That's not to say I'm 'happy with medioacracy' though!, simply optimising cost/reward/frustration triangle!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I didnt think it was possible to swing with next to no hip and zero body turn but here we are.

A unique action. I'd go see a pro. Giving up an untold amount of yards.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didnt think it was possible to swing with next to no hip and zero body turn but here we are.

I have a theory that this is from me hitting a “reset” button on my old habit of swinging from the inside too much.

I get superb contact now, great ball compression and straight shots. All I need is a little distance extra so your comment fits right with my own assessment. It is great to have you all confirm it (despite me being almost scared of it due to my usual fault). The symptoms fit but at the moment I am scoring well so this is probably the key to turning those 80s rounds into 70s.

I just hope I can add more hip turn without killing my accuracy.

Although Bob is right, maybe I hold back a bit at home so I will try and grab a course video soon to confirm.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Looking at slow motion swings of Luke Donald, and Villegas, they do not turn the hips in backswing any more than you do.
It's in the rotation in the downswing where they do well.
I suffer from a distinct inability to rotate in downswing- lack of flexibility being late seventies?.
But I think the more you can rotate the more power you get.
Danny. Maude does a good video on rotation.
Best of luck

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I made some progress today, didn’t really add much to the hips but got my wrists working better which promoted a draw and gained distance that way. Measured out a drive at 287 with a slightly helping cross wind, it was a lovely soft draw to boot! Not hit one that far in years.

Last edited: