Backstopping

WaywardTom

Visit site
I agree but they are the rules and the reason it’s not widely publicized is because it undermines the whole Logic of leave the flag in To speed up play. However it was being misused by better players in club comps. I play with an old coyote in a buggy he will have played before I get there totally oblivious to rules or cares less only get in for wine

WaywardTom

Visit site
The guidance is the ball should be marked if there is a risk of any player getting an advantage by leaving it in place. Therefore B should give A the opportunity to mark if B believes he wants to hit the ball towards the flag. If B doesn’t wait and his ball subsequently hits A’s ball then B is assumed to have taken unfair advantage over the rest of the field by ignoring the guidance in Rule 15.3 and is therefore DQ under 1.2

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think we need to be careful here regarding the rule on backstopping.

I believe it was bought in to stop players deliberately leaving their ball near to hole to potentially stop a partners ball from going too far. I'm sure many of us playing 4BBB have witnessed this happening.

In the case outlined I read no intent from either player to gain an advantage or to deliberately leave the ball near the hole. It was a case of timing and a false shot.

I see no case for a penalty here.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If there was obvious connivance, would 1.2 be justified?
1.2 is not necessary, I should have taken more notice of the words in 15.3a

Ball on Putting Green Helping Play
If you and another player agree to leave a ball in place to help one of you, and that player then makes a stroke with the helping ball left in place, each player who made the agreement gets the general penalty (two penalty strokes).

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The guidance is the ball should be marked if there is a risk of any player getting an advantage by leaving it in place. Therefore B should give A the opportunity to mark if B believes he wants to hit the ball towards the flag. If B doesn’t wait and his ball subsequently hits A’s ball then B is assumed to have taken unfair advantage over the rest of the field by ignoring the guidance in Rule 15.3 and is therefore DQ under 1.2

You seem to be resolutely ignoring the weight of opinion that, in the situation you described, there is no penalty or disqualification.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would go back to what I posted this morning before rushing off

"both players should ensure that the player whose ball is close to the hole marks and lifts that ball before the other player plays."

Is 'should = must' in this clarification of the rules?

WaywardTom

Visit site

"both players should ensure that the player whose ball is close to the hole marks and lifts that ball before the other player plays."

I asked the question the guidance is clear you should ensure the ball is marked and lifted. Ignoring the rule and guidance is not a penalty it’s DQ under 1.2 because u are deemed to have deliberately ignored the rule that is there to protect all the competitors

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I asked the question the guidance is clear you should ensure the ball is marked and lifted. Ignoring the rule and guidance is not a penalty it’s DQ under 1.2 because u are deemed to have deliberately ignored the rule that is there to protect all the competitors

You don't give up easily, do you?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does this continue until someone says what you want to hear?
I have never seen anyone in the amateur world I play in walk 40 yds to mark a ball unless others are on the green as well and at possible risk of collision of balls.
What happens on par 3's and you drop one close to the hole?.....do you run up and mark that before anyoen else tee's off?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

No.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at the Interpretations in 1.2 and the 5H Code of Conduct Policy, where do you see anything to support your suggestion that the example in the OP should be liable to DQ. Especially when 15.3 itself covers the situation requiring DQ.

Brammall Mac

Visit site
I’m clear on the strokeplay rule but can someone clarify please (ahead of my Doubles KO on Tuesday) - in matchplay are you allowed to leave your ball deliberately to act as a backstop for your partner?
I have a feeling your opponents could ask you to mark if they felt it was giving an advantage.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just what part of the rule has the player ignored?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m clear on the strokeplay rule but can someone clarify please (ahead of my Doubles KO on Tuesday) - in matchplay are you allowed to leave your ball deliberately to act as a backstop for your partner?
I have a feeling your opponents could ask you to mark if they felt it was giving an advantage.

Yes you can leave the ball in position but yes the opponents(s) can insist on the ball being marked and lifted.

Somewhat odd but

15.3a/2 – Players Allowed to Leave Helping Ball in Match Play

In a match, a player may agree to leave his or her ball in place to help the opponent since the outcome of any benefit that may come from the agreement affects only their match.