Auto or Manual

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Anyone who thinks that autos aren't sporty should look at F1 cars. My car is actually 0.2 seconds quicker to 60 for not being manual. I have drove it on winding roads using the flappy padels and it feels better than any manual I have driven. The other cool thing is that in SPORT+ mode the will still change automatically when it's hit the optimum revs even though I'm using the padels.

A fortnight in America and hes forgotten how to spell paddle :mad:

Auto for me to

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Got a 520D SE Touring auto three weeks ago. First BMW I have owned - got an unbelievable deal as new 5 series coming next year and went in 3 days before the end of Q3 and they were being incentivised to get rid of stock
Didn't want M pack with the bigger wheels/low profile tyres and stiffer suspension as I value a comfy ride on long journeys and have to do a lot of country roads where you really feel the bumps
only done 400 miles but initial impressions are very good. Auto box is superb and car is very comfortable and getting circa 50mpg an d all my golf kit in the back
to me manual boxes are a bit like bladed irons - it's quite cool using them and you identify yourself as a 'real player/driver' but ultimately you're making life a lot harder for yourself!

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
Auto for me. I've had a few of both over the years and every time I own a manual I wished I'd bought an auto. Currently have a 520d auto and have previously owned a 318 petrol manual. The 520 was better in every way.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Decided that one gear is a nice option - got driven in a Tesla 85D today. Just wow. That was quick and exciting on a whole new level...