Auto or Manual

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Anything other than a sports car, get an auto.
Auto with paddle shift is a good compromise. Manual(ish) when you want it.

Most ferrari and lamborghini are autos these days, as are astons. The myth that sports cars have to be manual has long been busted. Yes, they have flappy paddles, but I bet most owners just stick them in full auto.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I've had my first auto for about 2 years now. Still not convinced. But there again don't do much driving in heavy traffic, round town etc. Quite enjoy driving the wife's Mini when I get the chance. Will have a difficult choice when it comes to swapping next time.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had my first auto for about 2 years now. Still not convinced. But there again don't do much driving in heavy traffic, round town etc. Quite enjoy driving the wife's Mini when I get the chance. Will have a difficult choice when it comes to swapping next time.

What car do you drive, if you don't mind me asking?

And what is it that you're not convinced about? it's just so much easier all round!

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Auto all the way.

In town - autos are just plain better. On the motorway - no real difference. On a twisty country road that perfectly timed heel and toe gear change will save you 0.1 seconds (and that messed up heel and toe change will crunch the gears horribly). Modern autos are smoother, faster and more efficient.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
What car do you drive, if you don't mind me asking?

And what is it that you're not convinced about? it's just so much easier all round!

Volvo S80, just a big comfortable car, nothing flash. My previous car was a manual S60 so the only real difference is the auto element. Agree it's easier, and that is maybe the problem. I like to feel that I'm driving the car rather than being driven and that's the overall feeling an automatic gives me. There's sort of not enough to do?? It's boring?? I know a big saloon is never going to be fun to drive in a sports car or hot hatch sense but the auto still takes some of that feeling of control and freedom away for me.

PS A bit like Stableford v Medal. I like stableford, it's easier but it's still not proper golf.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18121

I'm a car man....would never have an auto. Dull dull dull. IMO.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Volvo S80, just a big comfortable car, nothing flash. My previous car was a manual S60 so the only real difference is the auto element. Agree it's easier, and that is maybe the problem. I like to feel that I'm driving the car rather than being driven and that's the overall feeling an automatic gives me. There's sort of not enough to do?? It's boring?? I know a big saloon is never going to be fun to drive in a sports car or hot hatch sense but the auto still takes some of that feeling of control and freedom away for me.

PS A bit like Stableford v Medal. I like stableford, it's easier but it's still not proper golf.

Funny, this is exactly the type of car that screams auto box. The S80 is a big comfy cruiser. Not a 0-60 car, a real sit on the motorway and glide type of car. I bet in re-sale terms your car is worth much more than a manual version.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
Funny, this is exactly the type of car that screams auto box. The S80 is a big comfy cruiser. Not a 0-60 car, a real sit on the motorway and glide type of car. I bet in re-sale terms your car is worth much more than a manual version.

Resale doesn't really bother me, I've paid the premium when I bought it, I'll get some back when I sell. Not dismissing autos at all btw, just saying that for me they do lack something. Yes, it's built for straight line cruising but the auto makes zero difference to that, so was the S60.......they say motorway driving is boring and for me an auto brings that boredom into everyday driving around town, in the country etc. Obviously some big positives about autos but as I said, I'm not convinced they outweigh the positives of a manual which for me are quite a few. Time will tell, may be in the market for a change next year! :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do get your point. The resale comment was a little clumsy. I was trying to get across that most people want that type of car, 5 series, A6, E class, XF etc in an auto rather than a manual. To get more of a drivers car you are likely to have to drop a size perhaps as they tend to go a little more sporty than cruisie. Not an absolute fact but the market is larger for manuals a size down.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love my Auto, 2013 550i with full M-pack. It's got the 8 speed auto with the flappy paddles too. Totally seamless shifting, even from the flappy pedals when it's in manual mode. I have not once thought that maybe I should have a manual and never would now. It's so much less hassle when in heavy traffic.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Hired a 520d luxury auto for 10 days whilst in Portugal, and drove for 7 hours across to the east coast of Spain. The most comfortable car I've ever done a long journey in.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have four cars, two are manual and two auto and I must say for driveability the manual cars are the best especially around the roads here. If I was driving motorways or towns then auto is best, but then that's not proper driving.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The new DSG auto boxes to many cars these days are really very good and as most of my driving is city and motorways then auto would be totally logical for me. Many of them are now also more economical than manuals.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both my cars are auto. One is 7 speed and the other 9. Both have DSG systems with paddle option if I wish.
Both in sport+ mode are superb fun to drive and I now prefer auto to manual.
And I am only 38.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My auto is old school 5 speed. But my commute is 5 minutes through Watford, 15 minutes down the M1, and then 15 minutes to do the last mile.
My commute home is 20 minutes minimum for the first mile, 15 minutes down the M1, and then 10 minutes through Watford.

When I drive my wife's car I feel like I am pedalling it along, the work my left leg is doing.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone who thinks that autos aren't sporty should look at F1 cars. My car is actually 0.2 seconds quicker to 60 for not being manual. I have drove it on winding roads using the flappy padels and it feels better than any manual I have driven. The other cool thing is that in SPORT+ mode the will still change automatically when it's hit the optimum revs even though I'm using the padels.