Auto or Manual

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just about to change my BMW 535d MSport Auto for a new model , My wife finds my 535 too powerful and huge , hmmm, So I am going to get a 3 series 320D Luxury , I am getting a used one from a main dealer and they have 2 there with a £1000 difference with the auto being more expensive , equipment & mileage are almost the same , so........or you think I should try the one series as the new cars are bigger . Back to topic ,for me the auto is the car as the 8 speed auto is very smooth and also autos have better resale values , if you were changing yours , what do you fancy ?

What I really want is a new space grey 525d touring with black leather and a few options ..................EYG

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could not go back to manual now. Modern Autos are just superb.

EDIT: Unless it was something like a caterham!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would go with auto every time, especially in a BMW. The trouble with manual in a bmw is that there is not much space between pedals, especially in the 1 series.

I've recently bought a new Fiesta and now wish I'd gone with an auto. Even in a small car like the Fiesta they are so smooth.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Auto always!

Especially around town, where Manual becomes a pain!

Be warned! 3 Series boot space (for the likes of golf clubs) is dire!

Oh and black leather is a pain too!

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Auto always!

Especially around town, where Manual becomes a pain!

Be warned! 3 Series boot space (for the likes of golf clubs) is dire!

Oh and black leather is a pain too!

Noted the boot space , get fold down seats , black leather pain , why ? I prefer grey if I can find one .........EYG

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Noted the boot space , get fold down seats , black leather pain , why ? I prefer grey if I can find one .........EYG

Even in the small amount of heat/sun that UK gets the interior will 'cook'! And AirCon takes too long to reduce temp! Grey works better! Ivory better still, but shows crazing and wear (ages) badly.

Aren't you going to end up with a baby/child seat permanently in the back?

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even in the small amount of heat/sun that UK gets the interior will 'cook'! And AirCon takes too long to reduce temp! Grey works better! Ivory better still, but shows crazing and wear (ages) badly.

Aren't you going to end up with a baby/child seat permanently in the back?

Noted , yes grey is better , had it before , yes my little girl is 19 months so I place a towel under the car seat so not to mark the leather ............EYGWP_20160808_001 (2).jpg

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I changed car last year and had the sole intention of getting another manual. I only test drove an automatic (Audi A6) because the auto returned better mpg than the manual. Ended up buying the auto and I'll never go back to a manual. The auto gearbox is so unbelievably smooth. Stop start traffic is so much more bearable in an auto!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I changed car last year and had the sole intention of getting another manual. I only test drove an automatic (Audi A6) because the auto returned better mpg than the manual. Ended up buying the auto and I'll never go back to a manual. The auto gearbox is so unbelievably smooth. Stop start traffic is so much more bearable in an auto!

If I could guarantee driving on traffic free roads then I'd have the manual. I can't & I'm driving in a lot of built up areas so it's an automatic every time

I would go with auto every time, especially in a BMW. The trouble with manual in a bmw is that there is not much space between pedals, especially in the 1 series.

I've recently bought a new Fiesta and now wish I'd gone with an auto. Even in a small car like the Fiesta they are so smooth.

Are they? Not necessarily if you get the Powershift one; Mrs BiM's one has less than 10,000 miles on it and has had about £1,500 worth of warranty work on it already & I think the problem's coming back. In the States there's a lawsuit going on under the Lemon Law & a class action in Australia. Be careful

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...4/news-story/64190e3d7ebfdd3c8468a22421f7c766

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2016/ford-powershift-transmission-problems-lawsuit.shtml

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I could guarantee driving on traffic free roads then I'd have the manual. I can't & I'm driving in a lot of built up areas so it's an automatic every time

Are they? Not necessarily if you get the Powershift one; Mrs BiM's one has less than 10,000 miles on it and has had about £1,500 worth of warranty work on it already & I think the problem's coming back. In the States there's a lawsuit going on under the Lemon Law & a class action in Australia. Be careful

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...4/news-story/64190e3d7ebfdd3c8468a22421f7c766

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2016/ford-powershift-transmission-problems-lawsuit.shtml

Interesting reading.

We haven't got that many auto's on our fleet but I'll be having a close look when I next drive one.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anything other than a sports car, get an auto.
Auto with paddle shift is a good compromise. Manual(ish) when you want it.

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cannot understand why anyone would want a manual in this day & age!! OK in the 'old' days Dropping a cog to power past someone going 2 mph slower than you was good fun and driving as fast as you could round country roads likewise, but these days of cameras everywhere and lines of traffic you just have to plod behind there is no point. and there speaks a ex boy racer with a Jaguar fetish..

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've got a 2014 BMW 335i with an eight speed auto. Very smooth and effortless drive. It's also got the optional paddle shift which I don't use but could hang the fluffy dice from.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was happily in the manual camp, cheaper to buy / lease, better fuel economy, but then I drove an auto in America for a week and realised the error of my ways. Next car I will compromise on certain other aspects to make up for those things. Gloriously easy and also helps relieve pressure on my dodgy left knee on long journeys. I'm under 55 but I will have no shame in having an auto next up.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd like to try the highly recommended new BMW 8-speed box in something fruity as the one in Mrs Chucker's old 5 series tourer is perfectly ok but not that inspiring. I hummed and ha-ed but went for a 3 series with a manual box allied to the 3 litre straight 6. Worth every penny for when you get out of the traffic and squeeze the loud pedal ;)