Attempted putt on green ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Player on green 4 inches from hole makes a stroke at ball, but only touches it, ball rolls back to original position.
I assume this stroke counts, same as a fresh air shot . ??

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Player on green 4 inches from hole makes a stroke at ball, but only touches it, ball rolls back to original position.

Testing my rules knowledge here to only be proved wrong im sure....

I think if it was an accident its fine - if it was an intentional stroke then its a stroke.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Testing my rules knowledge here to only be proved wrong im sure....

I think if it was an accident its fine - if it was an intentional stroke then its a stroke.
williamalex1 said:

Clear enough I'd say

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Rule number?

I suspect its more the definition of a stroke rather than a Rule, from R&A website below with exceptions, my bold
the scenario described in your post doesn't fit with any exception listed to exclude it from being a stroke

Stroke:

The forward movement of the club made to strike the ball.
But a stroke has not been made if the player:
Decides during the downswing not to strike the ball and avoids doing so by deliberately stopping the clubhead before it reaches the ball or, if unable to stop, by deliberately missing the ball.
Accidentally strikes the ball when making a practice swing or while preparing to make a stroke.
When the Rules refer to "playing a ball," it means the same as making a stroke.
The player's score for a hole or a round is described as a number of "strokes" or "strokes taken," which means both all strokes made and any penalty strokes

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Interesting question.

One of the recent rule revisions made the accidental movement of the ball on the putting green no longer a penalty, even if it's with the putter.

if the player has decided to abort his putting stroke but still hits the ball then surely this is an accidental movement of the ball, therefore, no penalty.

I wonder if there's a clarification in the rules on this.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Interesting question.

One of the recent rule revisions made the accidental movement of the ball on the putting green no longer a penalty, even if it's with the putter.

if the player has decided to abort his putting stroke but still hits the ball then surely this is an accidental movement of the ball, therefore, no penalty.

I wonder if there's a clarification in the rules on this.

The player has only successfully "aborted" the stroke if they don't make contact with the ball, otherwise it's a stroke

And there's no penalty, it's just a (poor) stroke

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The player has only successfully "aborted" the stroke if they don't make contact with the ball, otherwise it's a stroke

And there's no penalty, it's just a (poor) stroke

The bit in bold, is that the rule? Or have they picked up a penalty for moving the ball?

Can you show me the bit in bold in the rules? I'd say that they've aborted the stroke as soon as they decided to, but failed in not moving the ball.

It's a penalty to move the ball with your club on most of the course, on the putting green it's not.

I think there's a strong argument to be made.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
The bit in bold, is that the rule? Or have they picked up a penalty for moving the ball?

Can you show me the bit in bold in the rules? I'd say that they've aborted the stroke as soon as they decided to, but failed in not moving the ball.

It's a penalty to move the ball with your club on most of the course, on the putting green it's not.

I think there's a strong argument to be made.
It is part of the definition of "Stroke" Nick.

Steven Rules

Visit site
First, there is no mention in #1 about any attempt to abort the stroke. The stroke counts.

Can you show me the bit in bold in the rules?

In the hypothetical case of an attempt to abort the stroke - see the definition of Stroke:

Stroke
The forward movement of the club made to strike the ball.
But a stroke has not been made if the player:
Decides during the downswing not to strike the ball and avoids doing so by deliberately stopping the clubhead before it reaches the ball or, if unable to stop, by deliberately missing the ball.

By definition, a stroke is only successfully aborted if a decision is made to abort and the cluhead misses the ball. If the clubhead goes on to hit the ball, regardless of any attempt to abort, it is a stroke - on or off the putting green.

Rule 13.1d(1) and Exception 3 to Rule 9.4b say that there is no penalty if the player accidentally causes the ball to move on the putting green. But the 'failed abort' is no accident. It is, by definition, a stroke - albeit a stroke that our hypothetical player made a bit of effort to avoid.

I'd say that they've aborted the stroke as soon as they decided to,
The intent to abort is only half the requirement. The other half requires that the clubhead misses the ball.

Steven Rules

Visit site
I was trawling for something else today and coincidentally came across this from the R&A, which is relevant to this thread.