Arise Sir Andy and Sir Mo

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The whole system exists just to make me annoyed every time they release a new batch of names. The sooner the whole system is scrapped the better 😬

got to agree with you, complete load of bollocks IMO, what have they really done other than play tennis or athletics? Yes some will say charity work but I'm guessing they get rewarded for it or publicity, you don't see Joe blogs who has worked for 30 years and volunteers for Lifeboats say getting rewarded. And as for Cameron putting forward names of mates that's just messed up. Scrap the lot

D

Deleted member 18588

In the days when sportsmen & women were not so well financially rewarded there may have been some merit in the honours system.

However, these days most at the top are either set up for life or their success opens up a very lucrative future. Thus those receiving honours are not much different to senior civil servants in being rewarded just for doing their (well paid) job.

If there are to be honours handed out then IMO they should only be to those undertaking voluntary roles.

And is it not about time reference to the Empire was dropped. At the very least it is an anachronism.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Far too young IMHO, I don't know what the criteria is nowadays I thought it was about Services to over a sustained period/going above and beyond/charity work etc etc. Regardless of that I think they should of lived a little more before being handed a knighthood.
Did Honey G come away with anything..?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
got to agree with you, complete load of bollocks IMO, what have they really done other than play tennis or athletics? Yes some will say charity work but I'm guessing they get rewarded for it or publicity, you don't see Joe blogs who has worked for 30 years and volunteers for Lifeboats say getting rewarded. And as for Cameron putting forward names of mates that's just messed up. Scrap the lot
I think it's OK to reward people who do work that improve the lives of others but they should be people that are not just redistributing some of their huge wealth. I also think that many are much too young for knighthoods and peerages, if we have to give out such accolades then do it against a lifetimes achievement in charity. When the likes of Victoria Beckham go around bragging they are about to receive an award then the whole thing needs a major overhaul.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The whole system exists just to make me annoyed every time they release a new batch of names. The sooner the whole system is scrapped the better ��

I agree; except for a very few selfless individuals who deserve recognition for their otherwise unrewarded efforts. Largely it recognises those already very well rewarded.

Outdated waste of time and money - too many cronies involved.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Jess has now retired so, to me, it's the right time for this kind of award
Murray is in the middle(ish) of his career - leave it another 5 - 10 years and then do it.
If you're still doing whatever it is, certainly in the sporting arena, then its too early for Knight/Damehoods....

U

User62651

The whole system exists just to make me annoyed every time they release a new batch of names. The sooner the whole system is scrapped the better 

Sums it up for me too, surely Murray will be embarrassed by this as an active player in his sport, every tournament he goes to around the world are they expected to keep calling him Sir Andy or Sir Andrew in press conferences/on court etc. Plain outdated nonsense and daft, meant something in days of yore, means nothing nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sums it up for me too, surely Murray will be embarrassed by this as an active player in his sport, every tournament he goes to around the world are they expected to keep calling him Sir Andy or Sir Andrew in press conferences/on court etc. Plain outdated nonsense and daft, meant something in days of yore, means nothing nowadays.

It doesn't seem to embarrass Nick Faldo! :)

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Jess has now retired so, to me, it's the right time for this kind of award
Murray is in the middle(ish) of his career - leave it another 5 - 10 years and then do it.
If you're still doing whatever it is, certainly in the sporting arena, then its too early for Knight/Damehoods....

I'd go along with this. Often thought Knighthoods especially are handed out in response to major achievements and less for a whole career which is what they should be reward for. In every other category from Civil Servants, Charity workers, Politicians, Actors, Musicians it is very unusual to get this award before being in their 50's or 60's. Don't suppose I'm suggesting Andy should wait another 20/30 years but 29 is way too young IMHO......and what a fitting tribute to someone when they do eventually pack it all in to recognise a great career.

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree she's done superb. But Denise Lewis has done just as well IMO. I don't think she's got the extra recognition due to her looks.

More that they're given out more freely now.

Personally I'd rather they were given to the common person who does exceptional work. Not sports stars. And certainly not until the end of their career.

Denise Lewis did have a great career and was rightly honoured but I don't think it's near the level of career Ennis Hill had.

Also looking throughout the awards over the years they don't seem to be given out anymore freely than in previous years .

Whilst I believe that these honours should be given to sports stars once they retire I can see why they some are recognised whilst still active

In some ways it's great that we as a country honour many people across various walks of life and for achieving many differing things. Done properly the awards system imo is very good.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the reward for being a top sports person is the sporting achievement : Olympic medal, Claret Jug etc, . National Honors like Knighthoods, Peerages, OBEs etc should be for how someone has improved the lives of others by genuine kindness and dedication to that task. Services to Fashion, Business, Acting, Sport, Civil Services, etc where people have been handsomely rewarded financially are wrong IMO. Probably better to just scrap it.