are your balls balanced????

HartleyHare

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i have just been having a quick scout around the Ralph Maltby site and found the video for balancing balls.

has anyone tried this themselves?

because if you are playing with a ball with an inbuilt defect/bias that would have a big effect on your round (putting especially), wouldn't it??

HartleyHare

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i'm surprised there hasn't been more response to this question, or am i wrong about the importance of this??

it just seems a bit silly to me to concentrate on honing a nice smooth putting stroke or trying to hit out of of the sweet spot of the putter face if there's a bias in your golf ball, that you are ignoring??

especially if you have marked your ball and use this to line up a putt when it could be in exactly the wrong place

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
i.i.r.c. Dave Peltz did this using baking soda, water and a ball. I believe it is important but I think the time needed to 'pure' all your balls would take a while and knowing my luck would be punted into the bonsai at the first tee.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had never even thought about this until now and whilst it probably could have a negative impact on your game particularly your putting I'm not sure I will be devoting hours trying to ensure that the equator of my golf balls is exactly in the middle and there is no one sided bias to the roll. Does anybody know why this happens anyway or is it just a manufacturing fault? In which case you'd have thought that the manufacturers would spot this during a quality check.

HartleyHare

Assistant Pro
Visit site
it's pretty simple and reasonably quick to do.

add salt to water until the buoyancy is at a level that your ball floats, pop your ball in and if the same spot keeps coming to rest at the surface your ball is outta whack.
the quicker it reappears the more bias your ball has.
however if you mark this spot and putt along it the ball shouldn't veer off line because the bias will be along the line your ball rolls and not to the side.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd hate to think how much balls would cost if the manufacturers 'pured' them.

1 in 10000 tests can increase costs 10 times due to failure rates, mil spec gear (especially for aircraft) increased it 1000 times (and more). (which is why many manufacturers got rid of their quality departments and a lot won't mil spec anymore)

I guess thay might pure the pro's balls though, so that's another bit of kit that you can buy that's just as Tiger uses.