Are you missing winter golf?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Today is the first sign of a real thaw since before Christmas. Pity that we have an amber warning for heavy snow over the weekend.

liFnzLt.jpg

KvYGk9s.jpg

Bet this place looks amazing in summer!!

D

Deleted member 16999

Doubt the course would of been open much, but normally in winter we run comps/theme nights on the Simulator in the clubhouse which are normally a good laugh, so missing the social side more than anything.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Missing it yes, but with the weather being so dire it wouldn't have been too much fun.
And I'm not continuously checking the weather forecast to see how likely it is that the course might 1) be open and 2) be a mud bath.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Week on, week off, I'd normally be on the range at least 5 days a week in winter, so missing that loads.

Pretty sure the course would have been at least partly open so would have had a few games.
This for me.
Our top half is bone dry 11 holes.
Bottom half is wet.
But practice ground is in top half so would spend some time there.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
been frozen here for the last few weeks, it was a laugh the first few games, with the ball going miles. even managed to drive the 1st green at Nairn one day the ground was that hard, shame it was on the winter green 50 yards short of the normal green:LOL: worn a bit thin though the last few times i've played. course has been closed this week for snow, the first time the course has been clsed in 5 years. not played this week, not missed it TBH

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think this weekend with the amount of rain the courses would be mostly shut. But, generally I'm happy to play in all weathers and yes, I still miss not being able to play. I wouldn't go out in a monsoon, but it doesn't bother me if it's just cold, or if the ground is wet.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Missing it a bit - but not as much as I thought I would. But like others have said, I doubt the course would have been open much, if at all, anyway.

What I do miss is meeting the guys. PPs as well as others. A conversation across the putting green is better than no conversation at all.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have quite a few bits of new stuff I would like to try out, but the course is a mud bath, and it's not that appealing. It would be nice to have a driving range open though. I have a few swing ideas I would like to try, and some other stuff.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Missing golf but not missing playing it these last few weeks. It's been very wet and the pressure on the club to have the course open would be huge given the time we have lost - and I think the damage we'd do would be considerable and regrettable.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m missing the outdoors in general. I could be playing today, courses are actually frost free for a change! Only because it’s so unbelievably wet, windy and disgusting ahead of the next wave of freeze, sleesh, snush and pish heading in. Pure weather misery. There’s just no point.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've not missed the playing as others have said, doubt the course would have been open much in last 5 weeks, the Weather's been that bad.

But I do miss not being able to get to the range and try to keep swinging through this winter.
When finally allowed to hit a ball again, be like starting all over again, I'd say rusty will be an understatement

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We’ve had frost for 2 weeks so not played much but as soon as the frost goes I will be playing,as long as it’s not to windy.

Just as well really as I had a wisdom tooth removed Tuesday and it’s forced me to rest and I’m still not feeling 100% ?

Visit site
The photographs reminded of the winter holiday in Canada a few years back. I was walking one day with my daughters, and suddenly realised we were on a golf course.
One local said to me that they only expected to be able to play between May and September. So I suppose we shouldn't feel too badly done by.
In the (almost) twenty years of playing golf, I cannot recall a winter when the course would have been closed for so long, and that's nothing to do with the Covid lockdown.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I'm missing golf a lot. The course would be closed anyway but I could still be working on my strike etc at the range.

In general, I'm missing just being able to do something spontaneously. Anything! I've walked the dog everywhere local, around the golf course many times as well.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Here's our place this morning - the Ashludie has only eight holes open and I think the Medal has 17 open, all on temp greens but largely on proper tees with a couple of exceptions.

Was a day for orange balls, sadly I don't have any but only lost one ball - it's in the light rough at the left of the 7th if anyone else is playing here this week and is short on ammunition.

Winds gusting to over 30mph and a couple of brief flurries of snow but otherwise a very nice walk and when the wind was only blowing at 20mph quite warm - hoodie over the waterproof jacket is definitely the way to go.

IMG_4561.jpg
6th green - showing the temp water hazard which has appeared this week - apart from the puddles the course is not at all damp underfoot.

IMG_4563.jpg
4th green with temp green

IMG_4564.jpg
15th with other closed holes behind it - this bit of the Ashludie course is below all of the surrounding areas so floods at times - will be fine within a couple of weeks of water going down.

IMG_4565.jpg
10th temp green with flooded bunker.

Enjoyed that - probably saved my sanity for another week.