Are you anal about your balls ?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Seems I have a bit of a fetish about how the ranking of my balls stand up.

Winter balls can be any premium previous played balls but still in good nick, bounce game balls during the season, again, premium already used but must be in good nick.

Medal round, brand new, nae messing, though once a brand new ball becomes used it is then relegated depending on condition, still in good nick, off to the bounce ball pocket, though it it's clearly been round the block, off to the practise bag with it, so in effect I have three standards of balls, anyone or is everyone else like this ??

D

Deleted member 15344

Reckon a lot of people will be the same

I prob use a new ball whenever I’m playing a top course or a big Comp or going to a society day

Will use it inbetween for the social roll up games and as a provisional then after a while they are given to a guy in the club when then cleans up balls and sells them for a quid for charity

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not that fussed. Premium ball when the summer comes and a decent 3 piece (AD333 tour) rest of the year. Will put a new one on play on the first in a competition but will keep it in play as long as I can.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
1 or 2 lost balls a season! How many rounds do you play?

I always use a new ball for comps. Premium like chrome soft, z star, pro v. Never use a really worn ball.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only ever play with 3 (or more ) piece balls.

I have a few balls that I prefer and many that I do not use because they do not feel soft enough or give sufficient greenside spin.

Most balls get ditched after 2 rounds.

New ball for a comp.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll stick a dozen new balls in my bag start of the season, most likely Srixon AD333 Tour, as they are cheap, and play them till I lose them, not bothered what the ball looks like when I start a game as long as the ball is spherical, white, has dimples and my Chilli marking on it. I'll give it a quick wipe to get any mud or dirt or it, but then it's good to go.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I normally do settle for a specific brand/model each season and play that for all comps. This year (as well as most of last year) I am going for the Wilson DX2 soft lady, so a relatively cheap model, but it fits my swing speed. I put some time and effort in marking them and putting the alignment line on them etc. Each ball is like a little good luck charm that way. That's only for the competitions, though. The rest of the time, I don't bother much about what ball I play and to be honest, I don't feel that much of a difference. I think I just don't hit them hard enough for that.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sort of

When it drys up ill take a sleeve of tp5 or pro v1 per event. Then brand new DX2 should I run out which I won’t

Once hit balls go in bag to be used as practice / bounce / whatever

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I couldn't care less as long as they're half decent and clean. I played 3 full rounds last year with a single Volvik ball. I haven't retired it yet as it's still pristine and almost impossible to lose.

There are plenty of things that affect my score more than whether a ball is new or not.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Any of the premium balls that are on offer at the start of the season. I usually buy a few dozen. Current ball in the bag is a Mizuno MP-S. If I don't lose it, it gets used for the next round. After a few rounds it gets retired to the practice bag. I tend to stick with the same type of ball summer and winter.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I firmly believe that, within the different price brackets, there is little to choose between balls, especially with our variable swings.
I'll use a premium ball - any premium ball - on firmer greens and mid range balls in winter where spin around the greens is less important.
When hit properly, they all go virtually the same distance off all clubs so, for me, preference comes down to feel and spin around the greens.
I have a few balls in the bag, I pick one out and use it.
If I lose it, I get another.
At my level of play I don't feel that a new ball to start a round is going to make any difference.
In fact, it's quite possible to lose a ball on our first few holes so using a slightly older one makes any pain a little duller...

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As I am playing rather poorly at the mo, I lose at least 2 balls a round (don't laugh :() so I try and buy as cheap balls as possible Wilson DX2 and the like. I unfortunately have rarely completed a round with the same ball and will use balls I have found!

Oh to be good as this bloody hard game.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
If I'm playing bounce games, then not at all. If I'm playing serious golf then I'll use my current ball of choice. I've just finished my collection of Callaway Hex Chrome so will now move on to the Chrome Soft. If the ball looks it's seen better days I'll change it otherwise carry on regardless.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm the opposite of pretty much all of you. I have a selection of brand new, lovely, high end golf balls that I pull out of my bag, look at and then put back. I'm forever saving my best for another day, using the pearl ball instead. Ridiculous. I need therapy 😁