Are Top 100 Green Fees worth it

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I find it hard to justify paying more than 70/80 quid for a round of golf but that's just me.
Take this example..
West Hill is £105 a round
Blackmoor is £70 ( without Rich😁)
Is West Hill a 50% better course/experience than Blackmoor..? Possibly better, bit 50% better..??
That's just an example of courses I've played.
That's not to say I wouldn't fork out the cash if I wanted to play somewhere, but, as someone said, pay 150-200 for a round and play like an arse is going to grate..

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
condition maybe, but you can’t change the golfing landscape. Places like sunningdale, hankley and also maybe broadstone (+ many links courses) are on a bit of land that’s perfect for golf and maybe not much else except a good walk !!
Without the piece of land to start with, you just end up with the belfry. Which condition wise maybe spot on, but in reality it’s best served growing potatoes:eek:

+1 but I may have put it a little more diplomatically :rofl:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wouldn't hesitate to pay to play a top course. Walking up the 18th at Carnoustie and remembering Van De Velde. Birkdale, Lytham, Trump Aberdeen, Lahinch, Doonbeg, Woburn, Sunningdale etc. I'll never forget playing them. It's worth every penny.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
There’s a few iconic venues I’d love to play. The Open venues being the main ones on that list, but generally speaking I could find better things to spend my money on than going around the country ticking off a list of top courses, most of which I will never set eyes on again.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I played the St Andrews old course back in the early 90's. It was the last course I played before I packed in due to family. It was £40 ( and should of been £80) as a pal dropped out of a society do whilst I was on holiday on the west coast. I thought I had been ripped off and still do. I just did not get it, but can understand those that do due to the obvious history. Yet I have played some courses in Scotland for a fraction of the price and been blown away.
i have played some links courses here, paid through the nose and had freebies and thought they were Rammel, yet played Carne and Enniscrone in Ireland for less money and was totally blown away. Played them two on the back of advice from the folk on here who had played them.
There are some stonking courses to be played at value prices, eg Lincoln Quakers forum day at Woodhall spa on the Hotchkin being a fantastic day out with some cracking lads.
i went on holiday to the algarve and played some quality courses on twilight rates from 2pm. The savings were the differance between me playing or not.
There is no way I can justify playing over the odds for a round unless it is a treat. Something which I will do whilst on holidays in Mauritius, Cuba, Portugal, Ireland etc.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not all of the top 100 courses cost an arm and a leg. Especially the irish ones.

There are some great deals to be had, GUI offers, many have regular opens and even a polite enquiry for a deal will result in a more palatable green fee.

Its also true that the yanks like it reassuringly expensive.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not all of the top 100 courses cost an arm and a leg. Especially the irish ones.

There are some great deals to be had, GUI offers, many have regular opens and even a polite enquiry for a deal will result in a more palatable green fee.

Its also true that the yanks like it reassuringly expensive.

what's a GUI offer?

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
so to play a top track costs more than an average track ,but im sure the clubhouse and general feel of a top track is much more than the average one ,when you look at the cost its about a days wages to play the top courses [a few exceptions that charge wayyyyy ott] so in reality they arent that expensive to play . myself I prefer not to pay more than £50 for a round as im sure I was a yorkshire man in another life lol.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I went to a show in Canterbury and paid £70 for HID and me to have a meal afterwards, ok meal , nothing special! We get to play Princes, Royal Cinque Ports and Royal St George's for about £70 each in November- I know which one was better value imo 👍

D

Deleted member 1418

I went to a show in Canterbury and paid £70 for HID and me to have a meal afterwards, ok meal , nothing special! We get to play Princes, Royal Cinque Ports and Royal St George's for about £70 each in November- I know which one was better value imo 👍

Well it was Dame Vera Lynn so understandably the show!!! 😉😂😂

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
That was a lot of money in 1957!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have never regretted playing and paying for a top 100 course. Think the most I have paid is £125 for Royal St George’s and Sunningdale in July.

Played around 50 of the GM top 100 courses, but a lot of the top ones on winter deals. Best value Portrush for £80 on the 30th April. Next day it would have been £150.:eek:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably not but it depends on how you define value.

For time per round it’s poor value. Long rounds can be frustrating as any other place and short rounds could mean good scoring. You can get that anywhere.

If you value bragging rights for playing such and such then it might be.

If you value the experience and not the Golf then it also might be.

I will probably only play good courses like Blackmoor with a member or part of a society/event. Otherwise it’s just average joe courses.