Are Top 100 Green Fees worth it

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I spoke to the GM at one of the big Irish courses near Dublin, he said that if they do not charge at least 160-180 euro minimum then the Americans and Japanese will not play the course. It seems they have no concept of quality, if a course is expensive then it is good and worth playing in their eyes :rolleyes:

My local pro said exactly the same about the yanks, if the cost was cheap, they think the course is cheap.

D

Deleted member 3432

From that list I would happily pay the fee required

I justify that by deciding that I’m playing one of the best sporting venues in the world , in amazing settings playing the sport I love - I couldn’t ever play at another sports top venues - these golf courses are courses that the best players in the world through history have played , im playing the same course that a Tiger Woods won an Open or Rory or Darren Clarke , I’m playing a course that I grew up watching my golfing heroes in the 80’s play , as long as I can afford it then I’m happy to pay it

My outlook is the exact opposite of this. I enjoy playing golf, fortunate enough to be a member of a top 100 track but I have no interest whatsover in spending a shed load of cash for a round of golf.

Probably doesn't help that it a minimum of a 3 hour drive north or south to the Lancashire coast or East Lothian from where I live and I get more enjoyment from spending time with my little boy.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suppose part of it is what golf is to you. I am not a great watcher of golf or follower of golf history and so that plays very little part in a decision to play a course. Yes, I know the famous courses but I could not tell you who played what all time great shot from where.

On top of that, I play golf for the company and banter more than anything else and I could be hitting a ball in the middle of a cow field if I was with the right playing partners. As such, the attraction of top 100 courses is limited.

OK, I can appreciate the quality and when I have played them (never at full price) then I enjoy it but would I go out of my way to pay over about £50-£75 for a round of golf, probably not. As for the £200 plus cost of some courses, I would rather spend that on a weekend away with a few others on a more average course.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I justify paying simply by saying "if that's what it costs and I want it, that's what I'll have to pay". its no different to eating in a top restaurant, buying the best tv it costs what it costs. Having said that I've played a lot of good courses when there have been deals on and certainly would look to save money that way.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Personally I would never pay more than £40-50 to play anywhere. As nice as a golf course may be, you're still just paying more money to play the same game. As I say, for a great, great course I'd pay as much as 50 but any higher than that would just be too expensive for me.

I paid £60 for a polo shirt from a top 100 course mate :whistle:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would gladly pay some of the fees from top courses to play them, especially if with a group of friends and we can have a laugh.

I would almost certainly pay the $500 required by Pebble Beach...

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't pay more than £50 a round and even then it would have to be somewhere I really wanted to play. Just don't see the value in that with my current available funds. Playing Gleneagles at the start of September and I believe it is £201 a round, luckily we are getting on as part of a prize win otherwise I would not be going. But obviously people pay that much to play there so why not charge it if people pay.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Biggest thing to remember here lads is that these courses are top notch! The best we can play in our sport. We get to play where the pro's play (with very few exceptions) which is very unusual in sport.

£50 is nothing these days and you won't get much for your money off the list (maybe a winter deal?) but if you can get over your fear of spending money then I would urge you to get out and play as many of these courses as possible! They are definitely worth it!

D

Deleted member 1147

Personally I would never pay more than £40-50 to play anywhere. As nice as a golf course may be, you're still just paying more money to play the same game. As I say, for a great, great course I'd pay as much as 50 but any higher than that would just be too expensive for me.

You're not thought are you?
You're paying more to play somewhere different & better.

You're also likely paying more because, to be better, those courses may employ more green staff or buy more equipment.

Also, if you pay £100, it's only £20 per hour (assuming it's GM forum day and takes 5 hrs to get round)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would gladly pay some of the fees from top courses to play them, especially if with a group of friends and we can have a laugh.

I would almost certainly pay the $500 required by Pebble Beach...

Well 1988 I stood in the pro-shop of Pebble Beach and was told I could tee-off within the hour - and the cost? $100. My g/friend (Now Mrs Hogan) said no as we didn;t have the time - besides our budget for a day was $60. So I didn;t play PB :( She owes me for that also.

D

Deleted member 1418

Personally I don't think any course is worth paying over £100 to play; BUT I would pay over that for a top 100 course (in fact I have done) because as CR said, they are the best we can play in our sport; and - especially for those courses on the Open rota - you're treading the same ground as the absolute legends of the game. Take the Old Course - it's golfs equivalent to Wembley and Lords but actually accessible to us mere mortals.

Plus it's not just about the course itself - it's the whole visitor experience, from the welcome you receive as you arrive, to the history and ambiance in and around the clubhouse, and refreshments after your round. As others have also said, plenty of incredible deals to be had at these venues too that make them exceptional value.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're not thought are you?
You're paying more to play somewhere different & better.

You're also likely paying more because, to be better, those courses may employ more green staff or buy more equipment.

Also, if you pay £100, it's only £20 per hour (assuming it's GM forum day and takes 5 hrs to get round)
You say better, but how much better can it be? Any course that is well kept is fine to me. Above a certain point it would just cease to represent good value. (To me I mean - everyone is different.)

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most I paid was about 300 Dollars in 2015 plus caddie gratuity to play Harbourtown Golf Links. Absolutely stunning course and experience from start to finish. The caddie was a top bloke too. Worth every penny (cent) - and would pay it again in a shot :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

You say better, but how much better can it be? Any course that is well kept is fine to me. Above a certain point it would just cease to represent good value. (To me I mean - everyone is different.)

If you have never played the top courses then I don’t think you will understand the difference between your average club course and the top courses in the world/Europe/UK

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you have never played the top courses then I don’t think you will understand the difference between your average club course and the top courses in the world/Europe/UK

This is a very good point. The very top courses are just in a different league altogether to a "normal club course".

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You might be right. And I'm sure it would be lovely, I'm just saying I wouldn't value that difference at +£100. It just depends on the individual and what you value the most out of golf. As someone else said earlier, the value I take from golf is playing a sport I love with mates in which I can have some banter on the way round. The course itself is secondary to a certain extent. For others that will not be the same.