Are Top 100 Green Fees worth it

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sadly, the cost charged at a lot of clubs means that local people don't play them except in open comps. A majority of the visitors at my club are from overseas. They are on holiday and happy to pay big fees.

I would like to see all UK clubs offering a special rate for local people. This happens in the States. When I lived over there we got golf at about half the price (sometimes even less than that) of what tourists paid.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When I was younger, no, I would not pay even 50 for a round of golf, as I could not afford it.

Now being older, and having more disposable income, then these green fees get more affordable, and I would pretty much pay what ever, to play a course I wanted to play.

Is it value? Probably not.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is about the whole experience of being at the course, taking in the history, the surroundings and the opportunity to be there. I feel that it is a treat to play one of the top courses and appreciate the fact that i deserve it for working hard. It is up to the individual to justify the cost according to your own budgets etc.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont think, a lot of courses are worth the unbelievable amount of money they can cost. However, i happily pay it on a number of courses.

Being someone trying to play the top 100 england courses, its all about taking opportunities to play these courses at cheaper rates when available - opens, invites etc

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
You say better, but how much better can it be? Any course that is well kept is fine to me. Above a certain point it would just cease to represent good value. (To me I mean - everyone is different.)

Above the conditon of the course, sometimes actually being somewhere you have only seen to TV hits the spot... bit like teeing off at The Old Course, or playing the 17th at Sawgrass.

Sometimes the view just blows your mind, eg when you arrive on the tee at 16th at Tralee, 1st tee at Porthawl, anything towards the mountain at County Down... etc etc etc I mention the first one because I remember crossing the sand hills and going "WOW!"

But sure, it's a personal thing, and folk see it differently, or have different calls on their cash.....

Last edited:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you have never played the top courses then I don’t think you will understand the difference between your average club course and the top courses in the world/Europe/UK
Agreed

The difference is night & day. Pay £20 to play your local muni, pay £200+ to play sunningdale aren’t comparable. If you don’t wanna play £200+ fair enough, but you can’t reference it by the muni. It’s about an experience, like comparing McDonald’s with a Michelin star restaurant. They both serve food :eek:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sadly, the cost charged at a lot of clubs means that local people don't play them except in open comps. A majority of the visitors at my club are from overseas. They are on holiday and happy to pay big fees.

I would like to see all UK clubs offering a special rate for local people. This happens in the States. When I lived over there we got golf at about half the price (sometimes even less than that) of what tourists paid.

This is how I feel. The good courses are set up to scalp wealthy septics and Japanese golfers, which is fine, but it means that the prices are out of the range of 'normal' UK golfers.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some spend £150 quid going to the theatre or having dinner. You may not do it every week, it’s a special treat! Unless you’re like Rich & stalk members of top 100 clubs 🤣🤣🤣

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
to me they are.

I am not a member anywhere so I can justify a £200 green fee or a 3 day Kent Links break to Mrs Dando

before joining the forum, the best course I played was The London Club (on one of their £70 winter offers) and I thought it was fantastic but it's not a patch on the likes of RCP, RSG, Woodhall Spa, Walton Heath and even Woburn.

to me, its not just about the course though as I love the history of these places.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven't played to many top 100 courses, however I am happy to save up and play them. As people have said the difference between them and my course is amazing. The whole experience, views, set up and various other factors in my mind make it worth doing.

Don't get me wrong I am sure there are some cracking courss outside the top 100 that are just as good but for me to be able to play on the same course as some of my golfing hero's is worth the money.

There are some good deals out there you just need to find them . I remember playing Wodhall Spa for the first time and thinking 'Wow', I would happily play there again.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven't played to many top 100 courses, however I am happy to save up and play them. As people have said the difference between them and my course is amazing. The whole experience, views, set up and various other factors in my mind make it worth doing.

Don't get me wrong I am sure there are some cracking courss outside the top 100 that are just as good but for me to be able to play on the same course as some of my golfing hero's is worth the money.

There are some good deals out there you just need to find them . I remember playing Wodhall Spa for the first time and thinking 'Wow', I would happily play there again.

But the trouble was, nobody invited him back:whistle:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played 3 this year, previously only played 1 ever. All 3 on offers including the no 1, Turnberry. The difference is night and day to your local course. Play football at Northampton Towns ground or Old Trafford, Anfield etc. Surely you can see the difference?

Once you have played some you will see the difference in quality quite clearly. Are they worth it? Up to each person. I can't justify them at full rate but if you can get a deal then jump at it. See them as a treat, they are not somewhere to pay and play weekly.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Agreed

The difference is night & day. Pay £20 to play your local muni, pay £200+ to play sunningdale aren’t comparable. If you don’t wanna play £200+ fair enough, but you can’t reference it by the muni. It’s about an experience, like comparing McDonald’s with a Michelin star restaurant. They both serve food :eek:

I believe it's a bit of a catch 22, the local muni would be in top class condition if it was also getting top dollar spent on it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got a deal for $199 to play Sawgrass.
I will never forget the feeling when my wedge shot landed 10ft from the pin on 17th
Missed the put but tap in par, I could sell that to a couple of the pros.

I watch it on telly and think what’s all the fuss about it’s an easy three.
You pay your money and take your choice.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe it's a bit of a catch 22, the local muni would be in top class condition if it was also getting top dollar spent on it.
condition maybe, but you can’t change the golfing landscape. Places like sunningdale, hankley and also maybe broadstone (+ many links courses) are on a bit of land that’s perfect for golf and maybe not much else except a good walk !!
Without the piece of land to start with, you just end up with the belfry. Which condition wise maybe spot on, but in reality it’s best served growing potatoes:eek:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
The old boys I played with, when I took up the game, told me of the times they'd finish their shift [4am] of a Saturday morning jump into their motors and head for Wentworth... Where they'd join the queue hoping to tee off before eight-thirty and play 18 holes for six and a tanner... How times have changed...