Are PING custom fit clubs still the best best custom clubs in the market?

T

thecraw

Ping are the market leaders in my opinion without a shadow of doubt. Everyone will plug their own favourite brand. I've had 4 Ping iron fittings and they have all been really good. I went back again and had my short irons fitted and altered free of charge.

I've had independent, Titleist (driver) and a Mizuno fitting and I would rate my Ping experience above them all.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For my money I would not buy Ping, I like Mizuno or Titleist and I would not use the phrase "money is no object" but I do get what I want for the most part. Best of luck.
I'm the complete opposite, last 3 sets have been Titleist, Mizuno and Ping in that order. Before getting the i20s I was in the market for AP2s or JPX800s, neither come close to the feel or forgiveness of the Pings, in fact both the expensive options just felt dead to me, as does most of the current Mizzie line-up.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm doing an assessment at uni, on companies which have acted in an entrepreneurial and or intrapreneurial way. I chose PING because the idea of custom fit clubs was pioneered with Karsten Solheim.

So basically I just want a range of different opinions on whether PING are still the leaders in custom fitting or have Callaway, TaylorMade overtaken PING in the market.

I want to find out if people are buying clubs for their affordability or is it a case of money is no issue if it means getting the best clubs for the players game.
Well if you'll permit me, then I think the initial question is flawed.

Ping are not the most expensive, so why bring cost into the equation?

Do they have the best custom fit? That's arguable, I would say yes, but what they certainly have is the most visible, with their coloured dot system.

What is also unarguable from my time as a custom fitter in a retail environment, is that given an open choice of clubs (irons) to try, and if the player is willing to be open minded, then 80%+ of the time (at least since the G20/i20/Anser ranges came out), they will walk out with Ping in their bags.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm doing an assessment at uni, on companies which have acted in an entrepreneurial and or intrapreneurial way. I chose PING because the idea of custom fit clubs was pioneered with Karsten Solheim.

So basically I just want a range of different opinions on whether PING are still the leaders in custom fitting or have Callaway, TaylorMade overtaken PING in the market.

I want to find out if people are buying clubs for their affordability or is it a case of money is no issue if it means getting the best clubs for the players game.
You're surely asking the wrong question though? Ping are not the most expensive, so what does it matter about custom fitting in that regards?

What they are without doubt is the most visible with their colour coding system, that makes it immediately apparent to anyone what has been done to a set of clubs, at least with regards to the lies.

I'd say there's a number of 'bests' - Titleist are seen as the best quality, and best for the better player, TM are seen as the best marketeers, Ping are seen as the best duffers clubs.

What I will say though as an independent fitter, who will stick any of the major manufacturers clubs into a players hands, if they come to my fitting with an open mind, is that given the option, 80%+ will walk out with a set of Pings in their bags.