Are PING custom fit clubs still the best best custom clubs in the market?

H Shiels

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking at whether or not PING are still producing the best custom fit clubs or are there other golf brands who have overtaken PING in both technological advancement and affordability.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

A

Alex1975

Welcome. Ping are very different to all other companies in the way they do their custom fitting for the most part. Its hard to directly compare them to other fitters.

An example. I went for a fitting this weekend with a Mizuno fitter I use, he has only every sold Mizuno(cos they are the best clubs you can buy imo and his) but are a little edgy for some people taste. I spotted a Ping cart and commented on it, he replied that non of his Mizuno customers would ever be swayed by Ping so it was safe for him to open up his market. I hate the look and feel of Ping irons and would not consider them but some LOVE them and would not consider anything else.

The answer is.... only you know but they will do a thorough fit, that said most end up with Ping brand shafts and I have an issue with that.

A

Alex1975

nowt wrong with ping shafts, the TFC get decent enough reviews and I doubt Ping would stick crap shafts in their clubs

I totally agree, I just find it odd that it seems to come up in fits nine times out of ten.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking at whether or not PING are still producing the best custom fit clubs or are there other golf brands who have overtaken PING in both technological advancement and affordability.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Define best custom fit. Why the question?

Ping do make great clubs but there again so do Titleist, Cally, Mizuno and others. Go to their HQ custom fitting centres and surely each process will be similar across the board

D

Deleted Member 1156

Firstly, there is no 'best' brand of clubs, one man's meat is another man's poison etc etc.

In the past I've had Mizunos, Pings, Callaways, Titleists..... basically all the top brands. But the 'best' clubs I've ever had are my current custom fitted Orka blades. You probably haven't even heard of them but for me they are the best clubs on the market.

I agree that Ping shafts aren't the best and they do tend to push their own shafts. I had a Ping fitting last year and they tried to get me to buy S56's with Ping AWT(?) shafts but in fact the same head with KBS shafts performed much better.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
You could do a PHD thesis on the subject of custom fitting and which brands, fitters, places are best and after 50,000 words probably find your results were inconclusive!!

Best thing - IMHO - is to research who in your local area, has a good reputation for custom fitting and which brands are available because the experience and hence quality of result varies widely.

I'm not knocking the big brands, or the AG's of this world but I am an independent custom fitter/clubmaker and think that they have a role to play alongside these guys as well.

As someone said above, Orka are a brand that you have probably either never heard of or have heard very little of but I can tell you that they have fantastic quality products at very good prices. Generally, they are only available through independent clubmakers though.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Howdy, welcome.

I was fit at Ping HQ Gainsborough and love my G15s, have taken me from mid-20s (unofficial) start season 2011 to 17 start 2012 (official) to 12 now and I don't see myself throwing them up just yet. If I get much better at striking the ball and feel the lure of shineys I'll go to the Belfry or somewhere where they offer more than one brand. such as the "players" clubs like Mizuno and Titleist. So I guess it depends what level youre at, or want to be. But if youre looking for a reputable brand/custom fitter you'll do just fine at Gainsborough

T

thecraw

Firstly, there is no 'best' brand of clubs, one man's meat is another man's poison etc etc.

In the past I've had Mizunos, Pings, Callaways, Titleists..... basically all the top brands. But the 'best' clubs I've ever had are my current custom fitted Orka blades. You probably haven't even heard of them but for me they are the best clubs on the market.

I agree that Ping shafts aren't the best and they do tend to push their own shafts. I had a Ping fitting last year and they tried to get me to buy S56's with Ping AWT(?) shafts but in fact the same head with KBS shafts performed much better.

I assume that was not from Ping but a retailer. The AWT shaft is a great shaft, similar characteristics as the Project X Flighted. I find it very strange that any fitter would try and push you towards a shaft that stats show is not best suited!!!

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I assume that was not from Ping but a retailer. The AWT shaft is a great shaft, similar characteristics as the Project X Flighted. I find it very strange that any fitter would try and push you towards a shaft that stats show is not best suited!!!
Sounds like a misunderstanding on d4s' part there.

fwiw, I think the CFS that has replaced the AWT is a huge improvement, which is why I think largely, again imo, the G20 & i20 are the best irons on the market right now, whereas their predecessors didn;t particularly stand out from the crowd.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Sounds like a misunderstanding on d4s' part there.

fwiw, I think the CFS that has replaced the AWT is a huge improvement, which is why I think largely, again imo, the G20 & i20 are the best irons on the market right now, whereas their predecessors didn;t particularly stand out from the crowd.

What misunderstanding would that be?

T

thecraw

What misunderstanding would that be?

The misunderstanding that any club fitter would knowingly sell you a set of irons that were wrong for you. Why would they sell you a club with shafts that were wrong????

D

Deleted Member 1156

The misunderstanding that any club fitter would knowingly sell you a set of irons that were wrong for you. Why would they sell you a club with shafts that were wrong????

No idea! The KBS shafts were clearly better for me than the AWT yet the fitter kept trying to push me towards the Ping shafts. Pretty clear to me, no misunderstanding on my part. Maybe some directive from Ping to push their own gear.

T

thecraw

No idea! The KBS shafts were clearly better for me than the AWT yet the fitter kept trying to push me towards the Ping shafts. Pretty clear to me, no misunderstanding on my part. Maybe some directive from Ping to push their own gear.

Why were they better what were the figures that makes you so sure???

I refuse to believe that ANY fitter would deliberately go out of their way to misfit you. Both are standard stock shaft options in the S56 with no upcharge.

T

thecraw

I've just ordered a set of AWT stiff shafts for my S56's so if you still require KBS Tour shafts I'll have a set -brand new - never hit for sale soon!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've just ordered a set of AWT stiff shafts for my S56's so if you still require KBS Tour shafts I'll have a set -brand new - never hit for sale soon!

No it's OK thanks, I bought Orka's instead and had them fitted with KBS shafts.

To answer your question though, I wasn't happy with the spin rates from the AWT's and they didn't give me as much feedback as the KBS's.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No it's OK thanks, I bought Orka's instead and had them fitted with KBS shafts.

To answer your question though, I wasn't happy with the spin rates from the AWT's and they didn't give me as much feedback as the KBS's.
Yet the fitter, who does this day in day out, was happy with those spin rates, in fact so happy, he suggested one no upcharge shaft over the other no upcharge shaft you wanted. So what were the spin rates, and did you just want the KBS whatever the stats said?

H Shiels

Visit site
Define best custom fit. Why the question?

Ping do make great clubs but there again so do Titleist, Cally, Mizuno and others. Go to their HQ custom fitting centres and surely each process will be similar across the board

I'm doing an assessment at uni, on companies which have acted in an entrepreneurial and or intrapreneurial way. I chose PING because the idea of custom fit clubs was pioneered with Karsten Solheim.

So basically I just want a range of different opinions on whether PING are still the leaders in custom fitting or have Callaway, TaylorMade overtaken PING in the market.

I want to find out if people are buying clubs for their affordability or is it a case of money is no issue if it means getting the best clubs for the players game.

A

Alex1975

I'm doing an assessment at uni, on companies which have acted in an entrepreneurial and or intrapreneurial way. I chose PING because the idea of custom fit clubs was pioneered with Karsten Solheim.

So basically I just want a range of different opinions on whether PING are still the leaders in custom fitting or have Callaway, TaylorMade overtaken PING in the market.

I want to find out if people are buying clubs for their affordability or is it a case of money is no issue if it means getting the best clubs for the players game.

For my money I would not buy Ping, I like Mizuno or Titleist and I would not use the phrase "money is no object" but I do get what I want for the most part. Best of luck.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think it's necessay to look more closely at the 'idea of custom fit clubs'

Ping pointed out that not everyone's equal, and then delivered their solution to this statement - the fitting chart

640x700px-LL-1bd7a2e1_ping_colorcode_e.jpeg

At the time this enabled a player to order 'custom' clubs based on his measurement.

Today things have moved on. The player can attend a fitting centre and be assessed for a much, much wider range of measurement - physical and dynamic, with a range of possible club heads, shafts and grips in addition to the length and lie of the club.
Fitting centres can be independent, or run by manufacturers (Taylor Made, Callaway, Mizuno and others).
The actual cost of the fitting centre session may be negligible, and the resultant products are not necessarily the more expensive option.