Anything good going on in my swing ?

mungo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Evening all,

Been playing a little over the last year or so.
Not managed to break 120 yet but getting there and improving every round.

Would love any feedback, help or pointers on my swing, I know its bad (bendy legs) but we all have to start somewhere I guess :eek:
Due to wifes recent career change and two young kids, lessons are out of the question financially as any spare cash I can muster is spent on playing.
Any chance of the forum experts helping out a golfer in need :)

cheers in advance
Jamie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogfj-0TTwVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNyuX9UMF-8

mungo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ooops forgot to mention in the post,

My main problem is distance, when swinging at half power (as in clips) I'm making OK ball contact and managing to hit it straight'ish, But any attempt to release more power in my swing results in all manor of hook and slice horror's.

Just wondered if my swing had any good points to build on for the future.

Thanks again
Jamie

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You stand like you are trying to gob into a deep but narrow hole. Think a bit more athletic, a bit more poised.

More back swing, with some shoulder turn, not just arms.

Hands a bit close to your body.

Lower half of your body doesn't look so bad.

Hard to really tell alot more from a half swing.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think there's some good stuff there (not an expert btw). As Homer said, posture needs a bit of work. Find pictures, videos, anything showing pro's from the same angle as you before they swing the club, then practice it in a mirror or reflection in a window.

Your left arm bends too much, especially for the length of backswing you have in the clips. It should be pretty much straight all the way back. That would keep the club further away from you making the arc it's swinging on bigger, and give you more clubhead speed.

It looks like you turn well through the ball though, although maybe turning the hips a little quicker would be better. If you freeze the pic at impact your right foot is still flat and your hips fairly square on to the ball.
If you watch good players swing their hips are quite open (halfway to the target) at impact.

I hope that doesn't sound like a lot of criticism, it wasn't meant to be.
Like I said, some good bits, and a decent swing for someone scoring what you are.

Don't forget to practice chipping as well. Something easily done in the back garden for free. It will save you loads of shots when your approaches get you somewhere near the green.

mungo

Medal Winner
Visit site
I was shocked by my slack posture to, Gobbing in a hole is not far wrong :)

First time I've ever seen myself swing a club, a bit weird to see (I've watched it over and over since last Thursday for some strange reason??) but at least I now have some things to work on over the coming months.

Thanks for the tips so far chaps, it's really appreciated.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I enjoyed watching this swing. You are a good sport for putting it up.

Three things I'd try.

1. Stand taller, more poised, and imagine you have suckers in the balls of your feet. Balance is critical.

2. I'd avoid lifting your left heel off the ground. I know Nicklaus did it, but I did it for ages and it can lead to getting way out onto your right foot on the backswing.

3. Practice "L" to "L" drills (9 to 3 o'clock) keeping your left arm straighter and cock the wrists plenty......and don't be afraid to let your right arm come up and away from your side.....BUT (and this is important) try to drop it back into that place on the way down.

Most importantly, I'm a hacker, so these ideas are only from my over-active imagination, in a life where I actually believe I know something about the golf swing.

Good for you. Have fun. :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you are going to have all aspects of your swing pulled apart from bendy left arms to raised heels then you might aswell start at the beginning,... if you are going to swing a club then you should learn to hold it properly. Your right thumb shouldn't be on the right (back) of the club as it'll cause you all kinds of problems and eventually you'll need to change it... no time like the present.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLuWj0JU_98

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Real feeling of Deja-vu here.

I've been playing a similar amount of time, shooting similar scores and watching most of that swing was like looking in the mirror 2 months ago (although you get the club back on a better plane than I did so suspect that you slice less than me).

I’m sure lots of others here will point you in the direction lessons - I just want to underline the importance of it at an early stage in the golfing journey.

There are some fundamentals in the swing that need to be right (grip, posture, swing path) and whilst you can play with what you've got, not having them will always limit your scores.

I'm currently going through the pain of learning them, it's much harder once you've built up some bad habits, and the initial steps backward are frustrating. :D

But it's worth it :D - I now feel that I'm on the way to my first 100 and can now see how I can go lower still - something I couldn't dream of 3 months ago.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I AM NOT AN EXPERT

But...

I can talk as much nonsense about golf as the next guy.

I agree with getting a good grip - personally I advocate a slightly strong grip, but as long as you understand what you are trying to achieve, then great. Many beginners have a weak left hand, and a strong right hand, just make sure they are both working as a unit.

After that you can work on posture on the range, but don't let it get you too stiff on the course. I stand up straight, stick my bum out, like a hooker on the pull, and then just tilt at the waist. It might not help with golf, but it's done wonders with my social life. Seriously - try it.

Funally, for me, if you're not going to have lessons anytime soon ( strongest recommendation tbh ) then learn to relax and find your own swing. Keep in mind what you read, but don't try too religiously to achieve it, or else you'll end up like a bear with a stick up it's bum, and be as stiff as Justone playing around on ladies day.

For me, THE best drill is the baseball drill. It feels natural, and you don't end up thinking too much about what you're doing - just swing it backwards and forwards the way your body wants to.

Try this for size.

AdamKelly

Visit site
Swing is fine for for starters posture bad. Your spine is a steady curve from your tail to the angle of your head. Look at pictures of the pros and compare the spine.
Try standing tall looking ahead with club held out chest high in front then ONLY bend from hips keeping back pretty straight your butt out and your lower back in from your butt. Keep your legs straight while bending from the hips until club is a couple of inches from ground. Then simply unlock your knees. You will have much better posture.
Then just hit it as you are doing, keep it simple and then tackle mire minor issues later on.
Good luck

AdamKelly

Visit site
Just to add to above accuracy and strike will come from better body angles. Power will come from your muscles being able to work together applying force efficiently and powerfully in the right direction.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
You need to improve posture and the way that you address the ball first of all.

Stand up bolt upright with legs about shoulder width apart or slghtly more.
flex knees slightly
bend over from the waist
keep back straight

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anything good?

Well, you didn't hurt anybody :eek: :eek: :eek:

OK, more seriously. Looks like a pretty lethargic action. Google 'athletic golf swing' and you will find loads of stuff on having a good strong posture and using the big muscles in the body to generate power and a good action.

mungo

Medal Winner
Visit site
New posture update !!!

Well after a week of reading up, taking in all the above advice, watching you tube clips and wafting clubs around the home and office with my back straight I can confirm things are a tad different after tonights range visit :) (no clips im afraid)

Firstly the straight back feels weird but good, I'm having to stand about a foot further back with the longer clubs and it feels like I have a lot more room for the swing, as a result of the straight back I feel my shoulders are turning more to and I'm also trying to keep my feet planted which is reducing the knee bend..(not sure if thats the way, but feels better)

The first noticeable thing is my iron shots are probably the straightest they have ever been !!
when hit cleanly that is :D
I seem a bit better with the woods than before, but tonight I have probably duffed more balls than normal but I just guess thats from my new position and it will take time to get my eye in again, not that I ever had it in :D

Cant get used to having my right hand (thumb) over the top of the club as opposed to slighty to the right, that feel super weird but loads to keep working on for the next few week/months/years :cool: :cool:

will post up some more clips of progress soon, forgot to take camera in to work with me today and my mobile phone footage was none to clever :(

Thanks again
Jamie

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Keep at it. As you say the good ones are a different class to what you use to have and so its about making the changes permanent and making the good strikes more regular. Keep with the grip. Try sitting with the new grip while you watch tv and keep resetting it. It'll start to feel more natural