Swing feedback

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That reminds me - I'm struggling with the whole shoulders/target line thing. How do I need to set myself up? I find that when I'm standing at the ball my right hand is lower down so naturally that brings my shoulder down. What can I do to get that kinda straight and how can I assure my shoulders are aligned correctly to the target line?

part of the issue is down to the grip - so the way the arms hang. check your address dtl still pic you'll see that there's a deal of the left forearm visible under the right forearm. if from this dtl view the left forearm is below the right the shoulder line will be some degree of open to target line. if from same viewpoint the left forearm is above the right the shoulder line will be closed. you have a mirror at home you can feel & see what's square.

best ways is to get couple alignment sticks put one on the target line just outside you ball then put one that will be just off your toes that's parallel that ways you can practice with some reference.

[video=youtube_share;8FxKiZ3JV0c]http://youtu.be/8FxKiZ3JV0c[/video]

6grmJ0e.png
[/IMG]

you can see below how Scotty's hanging arms are pretty much level here. (he has that space between left hand & thigh) so he's parallel left square to his target line.
his hold on the handle shows you how this also influences alignment as his hands being closer together won't be so much discrepancy with how the arms hang so how the shoulders are.

h53RAvX.png
[/IMG]

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
re an earlier point about losing the pelvic angle coming into impact so little ways of a stand up. partly due to being little ways too close to the ball so hands little ways to close to the thighs. & partly due to the swing motion, as the grip is little ways strong theres gonna be a reflex action of wanting to hold off the club face angle through strike so the ball doesn't go left, so the hips move forwards rather than rotate left & clear into impact.

if you go back to the 'near' impact still you'll see the hips are still pretty square. also why the swing finish is high over the neck/head more rather just outside the left shoulder at finish.

little drill here may help some with that. know it's difficult to change a grip that 'feels' comfortable, but it only does because you get used to it. hard I know to change a grip. but would be a deal better if you can with those small changes in distance from the ball plus giving the left hand to thigh that 'right fist' amount of room.

if & when you make these changes best ways is not to start swinging flat out normal speed, ease back some so that 60% or so effort to help you get accustomed to them, slower speed will also help you get a handle on the feel on weight pressure down into the left big toe pad start the downswing to help stop the ott arms & upper body moving first off.

you have a good notion of overall positive motion through the swing so if you can tweak the other stuff should help you some.

[video=youtube_share;py07jb3Bwjo]http://youtu.be/py07jb3Bwjo[/video]

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
re an earlier point about losing the pelvic angle coming into impact so little ways of a stand up. partly due to being little ways too close to the ball so hands little ways to close to the thighs. & partly due to the swing motion, as the grip is little ways strong theres gonna be a reflex action of wanting to hold off the club face angle through strike so the ball doesn't go left, so the hips move forwards rather than rotate left & clear into impact.

if you go back to the 'near' impact still you'll see the hips are still pretty square. also why the swing finish is high over the neck/head more rather just outside the left shoulder at finish.

little drill here may help some with that. know it's difficult to change a grip that 'feels' comfortable, but it only does because you get used to it. hard I know to change a grip. but would be a deal better if you can with those small changes in distance from the ball plus giving the left hand to thigh that 'right fist' amount of room.

if & when you make these changes best ways is not to start swinging flat out normal speed, ease back some so that 60% or so effort to help you get accustomed to them, slower speed will also help you get a handle on the feel on weight pressure down into the left big toe pad start the downswing to help stop the ott arms & upper body moving first off.

you have a good notion of overall positive motion through the swing so if you can tweak the other stuff should help you some.

[video=youtube_share;py07jb3Bwjo]http://youtu.be/py07jb3Bwjo[/video]

Top man. Will get down the range tonight. Thank you again. You're an absolute asset to this forum.