Anyone dislocated their shoulder?

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Dislocated my shoulder on the weekend - Gutted!

Has anyone done this before? I appreciate everyone is different etc but wondered about realistic recovery times?

Fracture clinic (although it was not fractured) says wear the sling for 3-4 weeks *cry*

Wolf

Visit site
Yup did my left one playing football years ago took a good 3 weeks before i was out of a sling. My Mrs did hers in a slalom ski race 2 years ago as well took a lot longer to heal though as she had tendon damage with it.

As long as its a straight forward dislocation 3-4 weeks minimum ia about right, listen their advice any attempt to speed it up from you without their guidance could cause unnecessary tension on rotator cuff muscles or joint and thats a lot longer to recover from..

Robin Hood

Visit site
Yup did my left one playing football years ago took a good 3 weeks before i was out of a sling. My Mrs did hers in a slalom ski race 2 years ago as well took a lot longer to heal though as she had tendon damage with it.

As long as its a straight forward dislocation 3-4 weeks minimum ia about right, listen their advice any attempt to speed it up from you without their guidance could cause unnecessary tension on rotator cuff muscles or joint and thats a lot longer to recover from..
Very good advice.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes done my Right one 7 times and my left one once.
The first time was probably 20 years ago and I still have a major weakness there.
As Wolf says don’t rush it,do the physio that will be advised.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I suffered with repeated shoulder dislocations for 10 years - must have done my right one in excess of 50 times and my left one 10-15 times (yes seriously). I've had 3 operations to have them both pinned which thankfully seems to have done the trick. If it's your first time I would definately say leave it 3-4 weeks and try to get some physio on it in that time and make sure you do it regularly, even after the 4 week period. If you leave it and don't do any proper rehab I was told there is a 60-70% chance you'll do it again - depending on how bad the initial dislocation was. Even with rehab there's still a good chance you could do it again I'm afraid to say. My dislocations didn't stop until I had the operations but I think I was an extreme case to be fair.

I didn't play golf back then, it was all football, so not sure what it would be like swinging a club. For me it was certain types of movements that used to make it dislocate but you don't replicate those type of movements in the golf swing so it's perhaps not as bad as playing football.

Best of luck.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
No initially I did it playing football where I caught my arm high up in the net(I wasn’t the keeper) and when I came down it had dislocated.
I then did it again regularly every time I went back to playing football.
I also did it whilst playing in 5ft waves at Woolacombe beech it dislocated when a wave hit my arm.
I was so paranoid about it dislocating that I dreamt it dislocated,when I woke up it had dislocated but above my head.
I had more gas and air than a women during pregnancy just so they could get it down.
I then slept with it strapped to my side for about 6 months due to the worry it might happen again.
I’ve had it bone blocked now and a metal screw inserted.
The left I did whilst weight training

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No initially I did it playing football where I caught my arm high up in the net(I wasn’t the keeper) and when I came down it had dislocated.
I then did it again regularly every time I went back to playing football.
I also did it whilst playing in 5ft waves at Woolacombe beech it dislocated when a wave hit my arm.
I was so paranoid about it dislocating that I dreamt it dislocated,when I woke up it had dislocated but above my head.
I had more gas and air than a women during pregnancy just so they could get it down.
I then slept with it strapped to my side for about 6 months due to the worry it might happen again.
I’ve had it bone blocked now and a metal screw inserted.
The left I did whilst weight training
ive broken mine the same amout of times and all cycling, 6 times coming down on the track, once on the road.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
How old are you? I dislocated mine when I was about 28, I had surgery as it’s highly recommended for people under 30 otherwise you’ll constantly have it happen at awkward times.

11 weeks after the surgery I was back playing golf and it’s stronger than ever.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just make sure you look after the muscles surrounding the shoulder, and maybe do some lightweight work after it's healed. I tore a rotator cuff and the pangs of pain have never gone away

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
How old are you? I dislocated mine when I was about 28, I had surgery as it’s highly recommended for people under 30 otherwise you’ll constantly have it happen at awkward times.

11 weeks after the surgery I was back playing golf and it’s stronger than ever.

Im just the wrong side of 40 now. Used to do a lot of gym / triathlon a few years back so as soon as I'm able Ill be doing some shoulder strengthening exercises.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Little update, the short story is I’m ready to get back out again, just when the weather is good but also just as we’ve been locked down!

It took a good 3 weeks before i could move my arm around without it feeling like it would just pop back out again. Stayed in the sling for the best pet of 2 weeks. The last couple of weeks I’ve been doing strengthening exercises a few days a week. First session and I couldn’t move the next day. Interestingly my tricep on the side of the dislocation has become very weak. Anyway. Looks like I’m confined to chipping in the garden for a month or so. Depressing!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Little update, the short story is I’m ready to get back out again, just when the weather is good but also just as we’ve been locked down!

It took a good 3 weeks before i could move my arm around without it feeling like it would just pop back out again. Stayed in the sling for the best pet of 2 weeks. The last couple of weeks I’ve been doing strengthening exercises a few days a week. First session and I couldn’t move the next day. Interestingly my tricep on the side of the dislocation has become very weak. Anyway. Looks like I’m confined to chipping in the garden for a month or so. Depressing!
Plenty of time to recuperate properly and get the strength in it back. Work on the chipping but don't rush (not that you can at the moment)

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah, reading some other posts on here and FB I think it’s only starting to sink in now. I’ve been really busy at work and it’s taken my mind off it but today it was different. And it hasn’t really begun yet.
Anyway, like you say; plenty of time to get in the gym and get 100% for when we can get back out ??

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Done mine many years ago motorcycle accident, always remember waiting in the hospital it was pure agony as they had to wait 4 hours before they could get me into theatre.
It was months before I recovered
I believe it depends on the severity of the dislocation and any surrounding damage.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
A word of encouragement to the OP. A guy at my club badly dislocated his shoulder on the course. (Slipped on mud). He was out for a few months.

But here's the good news: he is now (or rather was, before the lockdown) playing better than ever.