anybody know about running mixed comps ?

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
A club that my children are members at have only started
running mixed comps this year. It is always a small field and
99% of the time my daughter is the only lady in the competition.
My daughter played 1 under her handicap but didnt get her handicap cut
because the CSS went down 1 from par 74 to 73 for the ladies, were the mens went up 1
from par 72 to CSS 73.

my question, is this going to happen everytime my daughter
plays in the comp as the only lady ? if she plays under her handicap will the
CSS always go down on the ladies side ?

If this is the case then she will find it hard to reduce her handicap
of 5.

any opinions would be appreciated as could mean leaving this club

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm guessing she played off her card/SSS in which case I'd have thought she would be the only competitor and therefore the CSS would in fact be the SSS?

I have just been elected handicap secretary so don't know for sure yet all the rules and regs...

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
The par and SSS are the same at 74. It used to be run as separate comps so as the only lady the sss was the CSS. But now they have started running it as a mixed comp and the above has happened. I do not fully understand it but that is what the computer software is coming up with that she was not cut.
I just really need to know if this is going to happen all of the time.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Normally mixed comps tend to be played of the Mens Stroke Index and ladies get extra shots to compensate.

Agreed and looks like the SSS is the same so no extra shots. Therefore surely all the results should be collated and there only be a single CSS which competitors are cut or not from? Not sure how they can have a single competition but two CSS?

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
here are the figures : men par 72 sss 73 ladies par 74 sss 74. css was set at 73. my daughter scored 37 points but didnt get cut but a man who scored 36 points did get cut. (my daughter had the highest score)

lets just say a comp in the future the css is set at 72, does that mean she is going to have to play 1 under handicap just to get in the buffer zone or even to be cut have to play 3 under handicap !!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
here are the figures : men par 72 sss 73 ladies par 74 sss 74. css was set at 73. my daughter scored 37 points but didnt get cut but a man who scored 36 points did get cut. (my daughter had the highest score)

lets just say a comp in the future the css is set at 72, does that mean she is going to have to play 1 under handicap just to get in the buffer zone or even to be cut have to play 3 under handicap !!

Not sure! She should get an extra shot on her handicap as she is playing off a SSS 73 rather than 74. From then on she has to go with the CSS of 73 and be cut or not based upon that. I'm a tad confused!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry, didn't realise that I had strayed on to the "Nuclear Physics" section of the forum!

Chris

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

I suspect that she was given an additional shot because of the par/SSS differential. That additional shot is only applicable to the competition result. For handicapping purposes her score would then be reduced by 1 point to 36 which with par/SSS both being 74 is "playing to handicap". The man who scored 36 points was 1 point better than playing to handicap since, with par72/SSS73, "playing to handicap" is 35 points.

Clear?

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
thanks for the reply, she was not given an extra shot. she scored 37 points off a handicap of 5 which is her actual handicap.
from what your saying it looks like she is going to be deducted 1 shot every comp she does there due to the way the par/sss work out. This means its going to be harder for her to further reduce her handicap.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
she had a point taken off, on the results board it had her down as 36 points

Mixed golf is a minefield.

I am still of the opinion that her 37 points included the additional stroke for SSS difference and that was for the competition result only and that the reduction to 36 which you mentioned was the score to be used for handicap purposes.

Without access to the scorecards, it would be very difficult to be 100% confident in my assertion. What handicapping software does the club use? If it is Handicapmaster and you tell me the name of the club, I might be able to have a look.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a footnote, CONGU, in the 2012 booklet, has withdrawn the option for clubs to calculate separate CSS for men and ladies in mixed competitions.

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
thanks for all the help, but from what i can make out its become harder for my daughter to get her handicap cut since the introduction of mixed comps

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
just to let you know that its all sorted now, when the new software was installed the wrong ladies SSS was put in 73 and not 74. this has now been corrected and my daughter got cut by 0.1

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re when I mentioned that mixed golf is a minefield. The initial CONGU advice on mixed competitions (a long time ago) left clubs trying to explain to male competitors why they were losing shots from their handicaps.